New puppy?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by melodyrg, Jan 18, 2013.

1. melodyrg

melodyrg Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2012
    My family just got a new puppy and she is the loudest most energetic dog that I've ever seen. Our older dog is calm and I don't foresee any problems with her and my chicks, but I know that the puppy will harass my chickens to no end. How do I prevent this? And getting her used to them isn't an option she's way too wound up for that.

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

I do what you think is impossible with very active bird dogs. You will need to get pup under control first. Even then you will likely need to supervise interactions until dog reaches adulthood.

3. bamachicks8

bamachicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Are they chicks or chickens and are they inside or outside and where is the new puppy and do they free range what about the puppy is he to be an inside dog or in a fence

4. melodyrg

melodyrg Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2012
    I get my day old chicks in march and they're brooder will be in my basement which she can get to.

5. bamachicks8

bamachicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Puppy gate to keep her out obedience classes asap or you can do it yourself with a training collar and keep in mind to a puppy it looks and sounds like a squeaky toy so give her plenty of toys so she doesn't get bored

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by