New Purina Feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Mayberry Chicken Shack, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Mayberry Chicken Shack

Mayberry Chicken Shack Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2010
    Mt. Airy, N.C.
    Has anyone tried the new Purina Layena Plus Omega 3, and if so what do you think about it?

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    No. It's a bit pricey.

3. Haunted Chicken

Haunted Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    I'm anxious to hear what people have to say. I recently won 5 bags of it. However this is my first experience with Chickens so I don't have any thing to compare it to. All I know is mine didn't want to switch from their chick start. I have to add water to the Layena pellets to make crumbles before they will eat it. They've been on it for 2 weeks now and still aren't back to the normal amount they used to eat in a day. (Not even close, but they free range all day)

4. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    Sounds like a gimmick to make you buy less feed at a higher price. It's a 40 pound bag instead of 50 pounds at a higher price. Couldn't I get omega 3 directly by having more fish in my diet as opposed to getting it indirectly through my eggs?

5. K9ThorsMom

K9ThorsMom Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2010
    Pinellas County, FL
    I bought a bag of it just to try out...my girls are normally on the regular layena....I have 6 birds total at 2 seperate homes (haha...totally talked the BF into letting me keep my "little" guys at his house...hahaha!)...he has my 2 silkie mixed females, and GL cochin female...I have my 3 RIRs at my house (2 hens and a roo)...to be honest, none of the 6 birds really seemed to like this food...not sure if it's the taste, or the fact that it's pellet and not crumble (though they have had both textures in the past without problems)...the one main thing that probably factors into it more is the fact they now they they are 2 seperate flocks, they get to free-range most of the day (without worry that the reds will beat up my little guys)...they do seem to consume less commerical food overall now, but I still offer them regular layena, the new type of layena, and scratch grain...of the 3 feeds, the new layena is usually the one left in the yard at the end of the day...not really sure if this helped at all, but it's just my observation [​IMG] If anyone in the Tampa Bay area of FL wants to try this food, let me know...I'd be happy to give it to someone that could use it..it's probably going to go to waste at my home!

6. Lightfoote

Lightfoote Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    Yes I bought a bag of it - in all candidness, because I had entered the Purina contest online and they emailed out a printable $3 off coupon for that particular feed. My Black Australorps (still shy of laying age by a little) honestly don't seem especially impressed by it - they eat it only after they have pecked and foraged bugs, grass, weeds, and selected veggie garden trimmings determinedly and are then still hungry.

Maybe when they are laying and nutritional needs change for the pullets, they'll take more interest in it?

Until then, I think I'll just go get a bag of something else (far cheaper) that they will eat. The regular cost of the Purina Layena Omega 3 in my area is $17.99/40lbs size bag.

That is $3 above comparable "ordinary" types of feed, which meant that the coupon made it the same as everything else, therefore worth giving a try if for no other reason than to rule it in or out as a feed supplement.

Lightfoote

7. Lightfoote

Lightfoote Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    Quote:Hmmm - that is 3 of us at least (just on this short thread so far) whose birds really aren't "taking to" the Layena Omega 3 formulation. Mine will flat out ignore it for most of the day, in the apparent hope of either finding crunchy bugs aplenty, or else believing that I may be putting just them on and they wait for me to offer something tastier.

I would much rather have been trying it your way - with 5 free bags - than with $3 off the purchase of 1 bag.

Any chance there are Purina sales/marketing reps lurking on these threads, taking notes and reporting back to "corporate" about customer response? Up to now, I'm thinking I wouldn't mind a refund, or else a coupon good for $ off some other brand or type of feed.

So - 'Haunted' - where in Oregon are you? I'm originally from Portland (just moved away recently) and still have family and many friends there...

Lightfoote

8. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    I tried a bag because I had two coupons & had some time before my Mazuri came in. I liked the smaller pellets & it smelled better than Layena. The 40 lb bag lasted as long as a 50 lb bag of Layena. Since there is flax seed in it, hopefully they use less soy to get to 16%, but who knows. My girls & guineas had no provblem with it.

9. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I have some coupons as well, so I may think about purchasing a bag.

10. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:So the pellets are smaller? Did you see a difference in your birds?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by