1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New PVC chicken tractor, just finished!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by COURT3800, Sep 2, 2008.

1. COURT3800

COURT3800 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2008
    Hi all,
    I'm a newbie chicken owner, but just finished building my first chicken tractor yesterday. Found lots of great ideas on the forum and online and thought I'd share the results!!

Old temporary chicken home
    [​IMG]
    New Chicken Tractor, just finished yesterday!
    [​IMG]
    Inside the new tractor:
    [​IMG]
    The girls at home (Buff Orpies, 3.5 weeks old!)
    [​IMG]

To finish, I'll be enclosing the back of the tractor and adding nest boxes and a PVC feeder.

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    ...neat....[​IMG].how did you get the wire to stay on there.?.(sorry..dumb question..lol)..Wendy

3. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    looks great [​IMG]

4. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    So cool! I love your chickies too! [​IMG] Do they get sun from anywhere else? The coop looks fully shaded...

5. Fast Chick

Fast Chick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2008
    Make sure you have a way to SECURELY attach it to the ground or something really heavy. My neighbor built a very nice PVC shelter for his hens and I had it on top of my goat shed after the next decent storm. [​IMG]

He found most of his chickens but not all of them. [​IMG]

6. injunjoe

injunjoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Pasco county, FL.
    [​IMG]

Nice job.
    For extra weight you could fill the bottom pipes with water, when you want to move it just drain, move and then refill!
    Just an idea.

Joe

7. COURT3800

Aug 26, 2008
    Wow, good questions!
    I attached the wire using zip ties (like 200+ of them!) and screws and PVC glue to hold the PVC together, and bungee cords to hold the tarps on.

I fully shaded the tractor as it's 95 degrees in the afternoon here in Florida and is raining every day (I've read several posts about chicks getting soaked in the rain and dying-perhaps not a problem in the heat though I'm still a worried chicken mommy). However, my husband asked this question too. Would it be better to leave some part of the tractor exposed to the sun?

As far as weight goes, we would have to hurricane proof before a storm - very possible after all the activity this season. I would bring the kids (chicks) inside, and remove the tarps so that the wind could pass through - may also stake or tie it down - though there wouldn't be much for the wind to catch (I hope!)

Thanks for the feedback all - I knew you guys would see things I missed, that's why I love this forum!! [​IMG]

8. Lee

Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Marion County, IN
    Nice job! I think I see white zip ties holding the wire. I love these and buy the military spec black ones. Resistant to the sun.

Lee

9. chiknlady

chiknlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    SE PA
    Great job! I think this could be modified to make a great duck house...since mine don't like to be confined...

10. COURT3800

Aug 26, 2008
    Yeah, it seems like confinement might be tough in places with heat like Florida - I think the cross breeze seems to help my girls, though I'm sure those w/ indoor coops have great cooling systems worked out.

Also, I didn't know they made zip ties that resist sun wear. I know that the PVC will ultimately sucuumb to the sun, but if I qet a couple of years out of it I'll be happy![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by