New Pyr Pup questions

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chickgramma, Jun 20, 2008.

1. chickgramma

chickgramma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2008
    Rineyville, KY
    We got a new Great Pyr pup yesterday. Beautiful! She will be 12 weeks old tomorrow. She got car sick twice on the way home (about 1 1/2 hour ride). When I got her home, I had to take the carrier apart to get her out. i cna understand that, she was scared. When I got her out, she just layed there for a couple of hours. no "here puppy", "come on baby", would get her moving. After a couple of hours, I carried her (all 26.5 lbs) to the deck to sit with me. Layed there. She did drink some water and ate a couple treats. My husband came out and she perked up a little, wagge dher tail(she had never seen a woman and has been living with goats and other pups since she was born). She did eat and drink well that evening. Still laying there. I carried her to the goat pen thinking maybe she was lonely. She perked up and wagged her tail and moved so she was within about 15 feet of them and sat and watched them. She layed down after a while and that is where she was this morning. Is this all just being new? She seems healthy. Am I just and overconcerned new momma?

2. Florida chick

Florida chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2008
    You really need to get some electrolytes and I would call your vet. NO pup should be that lethargic. We have Pyrenees and they are more mello, but if she truly stayed in the same place, its not good. Is she pooping? peeing? eating? Playing and running? Has she been dewormed? I would love to see pics. GOODLUCK!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. chickgramma

Jun 9, 2008
    Rineyville, KY
    She is peeing and pooping and all look normal. She is eating and drinking. She does wag her tail and ears lift eyes light up. She sits alert just doesnt care to move about. What kind of electrolytes? I thought maybe she was lonely? depressed? My husband carried her into a stall today to show her food and water and she ate and drank but has stayed in there.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/11642_wendy.jpg

Not sure if I did that pic right....

4. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    Not good. I'm sure she's stressed, but by now they would have come around some. Call your Vet, don't wait till the weekend.

5. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I agree that she sounds too lethargic, however, it could have been from being car sick plus being moved to a completely new home. Certainly keep a close eye on her and the electrolyte idea is a good one. If she hasn't perked up by this afternoon I'd be concerned and talk to your vet.

On the other side here - people that raise Pyrs for guard dogs don't make pets out of them. It sounds like she's been started out right, being more comfortable around the animals than people. Keep her with the livestock and don't "baby" her other than making sure she's not sick.

6. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    we picked up a stray almost a month ago, and she was so scared of everything that we couldn't get her to eat, either. I have never seen a dog refuse BACON until the day we got her. It took about 2 months for her to fully get into the swing of things, and now she's fine. (She began eating a few days after we got her, and her health was fine) She was just sad and depressed and in a strange house. I'd make sure she's wormed and up to date on her shots, and just love on her and get her used to everyone.

7. chickgramma

Jun 9, 2008
    Rineyville, KY
    Thanks all. I will watch her this afternoon and my vet does have walk-ins tomorrw am I will take her if she is not better. but, what about these electrolytes? I have some for fowl and goats......is it the same?

8. naturemom

naturemom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2007
    northern IL
    I'd call a vet. Our pyr took a lot of naps when she was a puppy, but she was full of energy in between. I'd be very concerned about a puppy that doesn't play, even though they are a mellow breed.

9. chickgramma

Jun 9, 2008
    Rineyville, KY
    She was wormed at 4 weeks and I wormed her last night again. She has had first set of shots and they said she is due this week. I will ge those tomorrow.

I told my husband we should just get two.....[​IMG]

10. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Did you get her from a breeder, or a back yard breeder? If you got her from a back yard breeder, or some one who decided to let their dogs have a litter of pups, she could have parvo. I would get her to the vet ASAP.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by