NEW Quail and Guineas is a green house?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by PoultryPunk, Feb 26, 2016.

1. PoultryPunk

PoultryPunk New Egg

Feb 26, 2016
    North Texas
    I am living with my parents in a urban area but will be moving to a more rual area where chickens are allowed. I am designing a large green house, with in-ground beds and in-pond both of which will have a white, plastic, picket fence. I know Quail and Gunieas can fly over them. The pond will have steps leading up in the corners to escape drowning, there will only be three good sized goldfish so the birds can't eat them (if they could?) I heard the Gunieas and Quail will leave the plants alone, correct? There will be plenty of ventilation during the summer, so bugs will get in, and they birds will eat them, correct? Guineas Scare off most snakes correct? Can Quail be kept with Guineas peacefully? There will be plenty of space for them to roam around the greenhouse, no pesticides will be used, and I will offer clean water and food daily.

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    For most greenhouses I do not think that guineas are a good choice. They are larger than quail and will not stay on the ground once they know there's food up higher.

Welcome to BYC.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  3. PoultryPunk

PoultryPunk New Egg

Feb 26, 2016
    North Texas
    @nchls school thank your for you quick reply! I do believe that the green house most definitely will be spacious enough for a few Guineas, but can they be kept with Quail? I have heard stories the Chickens are the ones who will tear up dirt and possibly plants, and that Gunieas and quail will leave it alone, I am still unsure.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    I raised both species in the past. In my opinion guineas are not a good choice for a greenhouse because of their noise, size, and habits. I have doubts about having guineas and quail sharing space, but have never tried it.

6. PoultryPunk

PoultryPunk New Egg

Feb 26, 2016
    North Texas
    Yeah, you're probably right.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You could post your questions on both the "Quail thread," and the "Guinea thread," the folks there would be able to offer better information. I would wonder about the greenhouse being too hot and humid for the birds. I have heard of folks allowing their flocks to "over winter," in an unheated greenhouse to protect them from the elements.

8. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

[​IMG]
    There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around the run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by