New Quail Breeding Coop

Discussion in 'Quail' started by mochicken, Nov 19, 2011.

1. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Since I dont have a garage to set my quail up in I was going to build a small shed but money is tight [​IMG]

I was given breeding cages that were all one long unit containing 6 cages, I cut that down to 2 different sections of 3 cages each. I had a small shed I built for garden tools, its 4ft wide x 6ft long, I mounted the quail cages inside the shed on the wall, it doesnt leave me much room to move around but it gets them in a nice area protected from wind and weather. I plan to hang a light fixture in there with a 150 watt heat light for those really cold nights and a separate one with a 40 watt bulb to extend their days so they will continue to lay.

I put small boards in the cages about 8"x10" so they have an area to get off the wire if they want, I still have to pick up some plastic shoebox totes to make lil sand boxes for them and im sure the whole setup will require some fine tuning and altering to get everything complete but its looking ok so far. I still have to install the tray between the cages for the "poop board" to rest between the two cages, I made a wood tray with sides and I will throw some pine chips in it to keep the smell down and soak up the moisture.

Not much to look at but here ya go

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by