New quail chick! :D

Discussion in 'Quail' started by BackYardQuail, Aug 16, 2014.

1. BackYardQuail

BackYardQuail Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2014
    I set 42 coturnix quail eggs in the incubator 16 days ago and today at about 8:00 AM I woke up and went to the incubator and I saw one little guys sitting in the corner. He's a day early and I don't know what to do with him! I have him in the brooder, I put his beak into water when I just put him in the brooder, but he does not stop calling out for something... I'm worried he can't find the water or something. DO quail chicks always call out a lot when they are born? Maybe he is calling his brothers/sisters/mom? Please help me ease my mind. Thanks!

2. aperez54

aperez54 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2014
    My first quail hatched on the 14th day while we were preparing for lockdown! I moved it with the rest of the eggs to the other incubator and within 20 minutes, it came out [​IMG] I guess it couldn't wait to get out LOL.

We put it in the brooder after it went fluffy and it peeped the whole night! But when its brother/sister joined him day after, it got all quiet [​IMG]

Congrats!!

3. BackYardQuail

Apr 12, 2014
    Awesome thanks! I can't wait til the other ones start hatching. :)

4. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

The chick is lonely. When you put the others in it will be fine. THey are social birds and do not enjoy being alone.

5. BackYardQuail

Apr 12, 2014
    They were supposed to start hatching today at 2:00 PM but they aren't... I'm getting a little worried. Last time I incubated, none out of 20 hatched. I really hope at least 1 more hatches just to make the other bird not be lonely.

6. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

They don't have digital watches and slight differences in temperature either high or low affect hatch times. Crank down the worryin a few notches, you'll do fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by