New Quail Coop Design and Quail Pics & Videos

Discussion in 'Quail' started by ryan112ryan, Dec 7, 2010.

1. ryan112ryan

ryan112ryan Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2009
    Just got my first quail (4 Texas A&Ms, 2 Pharaoh Couturnix) and I have built a hutch for them, let me know what you all think!

Video of the design:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Video of the baby quail:

2. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Very nice! [​IMG]

3. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    That's my basic pen design, only I split it down the middle and put my doors on the left and right. 37 inches in height creates less waist, but that's a basic "JOE" pen! [​IMG]

Great defenses! Barrel bolt! A must. I use 2"x2" for the pen structure, and build my legs so the entire structure can be disassembled and moved about the yard by one 5'-6" 120# person.

Put a top on it, and stock it with 8 or so coturnix quail. It will serve you well!

4. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    That's basically what I'm hoping to build soon, only minus the long legs. I'm going to build them with a bottom that slides on and off. Basically, that'll let me use a solid bottom with bedding & remove the whole bottom when it's time to scrap it down. (Yes, I know that means removing the birds first, but I only have a few.)

I'm going to make them stackable, too. That way, I can put three on top of each other. I'll put a foot of legs on the bottom one. They'll be inside, so I don't have to worry about predators underneath. The foot of legs just allows for any minor flooding and lets me stick the shop vac under them to clean...

5. ryan112ryan

ryan112ryan Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2009
    I also have some training wheels from a kids bike that I was thinking of adding so I can scoot it around the yard so the droppings can be evenly dispersed and the grass better fertilized.

6. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Yeah...basically missing a wire floor. All the poop that normally falls under the wire, goes where?

To a deluxe apartment in the sky!
    The only thing missing is bell hop, 4 trays of stinky poo poo litter and a top.

Screw it! Put a top on it and you are done!

7. Jenlyn9483

Jenlyn9483 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Basically the same as my two except they are 3' X 5 and 6', they are made out of aluminum and since they are inside my garage have slide out aluminum drip pans.

8. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Quote:Uh, Joe? Not sure what you are saying here about an apartment in the sky & a bell hop, LOL. [​IMG]

LOL I like a solid wood bottom. That's all I meant. I am going to build a solid bottom on mine, that I can easily remove (after removing the birds) to do a good cleanout. No big deal for me, but that's because I only have about 50 birds total. Plus, since I give them a ton of space, their bedding doesn't get bad very fast. [​IMG] Well, unless it's July or August, in which case it gets god-awful no matter what you do.

9. daseymay

daseymay Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2010
    The only thing I do not care for in the original plan are the wood cross pieces under the wire at the bottom of the pen. Over the years I have found that anything that poop can build up on is a pain to clean up.[​IMG] It looks as though you may left these off of your design though.[​IMG] I like the idea of the wire being on the frame work and the wire nailed to the bottom of the 2x4's instead of at the top which can also cause a poop build up. Good job and sure your quail will enjoy their new pen.

10. daseymay

daseymay Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2010
    Sorry, On the above post I should have written that I like the idea of the wire being placed on the inside of the frame.[​IMG] I should have finished my first cup of coffee before posting.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by