tempe_quail

In the Brooder
Jan 29, 2023
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
We have quail! We brought home 351 quail today. One or two casualties in the transport but that's farming. Most are happy and healthy. SIL is a vet and helped us patch up one hen and she's doing well now.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
No chickens! Quail only for now, but chickens coming soon! We plan to only have enough chickens for some personal eggs and maybe a few to sell at the farmers market, about a dozen or two. We are hoping to have quail for commercial purposes in addition to personal consumption.

(3) What breeds do you have?
Jumbo Corturnix Quail, several varieties (mostly Egyptian)

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Food, eggs, cute birds, connecting with our food and nature.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies/interests?
Raising the kids (3 girls who we homeschool), cycling/fitness, nutrition, gardening (flowers, vegetables, fruit trees)

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
My husband and I have been married for 10 years, we met in college 15 years ago, and have recently moved to a small horse property/small farm in Arizona in the heart of the valley where we hope to raise and grow food for ourselves as well as share with the community. We have three daughters who are our little farm girls. Our property is small so we are focusing on poultry, vegetables, flowers, and fruit. We might get some sheep or goats someday. We'll see. We also have one kitty cat and hope some barn cats adopt us someday soon.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I was watching a video on MyShire Farms YouTube channel and a BYC member made a very compelling case! S/O to Nabiki (not sure if there's a way to "tag" someone on here but thank you, Nabiki!)

We got into raising quail VERY QUICKLY and not according to plan (isn't that how it always seems to happen in life?). So I am rapidly researching everything I can possibly find out so we give these quail the life they deserve and get them to harvest with as few hiccups as possible! I came from a farming background but that was a LONG time ago now so I'm only slightly more experienced than "complete newb." I've got the wonderful support of my husband (complete newb, but fast learner!), as well as my parents who know MUCH more farming than I do! Wish us luck and point me in the direction of best practices! I am currently watching videos from MyShire Farms as fast as possible and I've got a great local connection, but there's SO MUCH to know! Thank you and we're excited to be here!

Back
Top Bottom