New quail pen

Discussion in 'Quail' started by the lawsons, Jan 7, 2012.

1. the lawsons

the lawsons Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2011
    NE Tennessee
    Building this today with my little helper. Hope to finish today!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  2. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Good start. What are the planned dimensions? How many quail do you plan to house? I'm new too and I've been brainstorming the pen I want to build. decisions decisions.

3. the lawsons

Dec 25, 2011
    NE Tennessee
    Overall it is 6ft x 3ft. I am going to split it into two 3 x 3 sections. Right now I have six hens and one rooster. I plan on getting another rooster and putting three hens to one rooster in each section. Right now I have them housed in an old rabbit hutch. I plan to use it as a grow out pen for the ones I hatch.

4. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    [​IMG] Looks great! Can't wait to see the finished cage/s. Can't miss with a great helper!! [​IMG]

5. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Defiantly off to a good start! Your little helper has done well [​IMG]

Just something to think about while you are at this phase in production. I'm slightly taller than 5.5" tall, and 2' is a real stretch for me, and I could never reach 3" to the far back of that pen with out a door on the back as well. Just something for you to test out for yourself, before you get everything wired up.
    Your pen space is more than enough.

6. the lawsons

Dec 25, 2011
    NE Tennessee
    My helper gave up on me at lunch time. This is as far as I got on Saturday. Hope to finish this week. Also set my first six eggs in my incubator today! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. quailgal

quailgal Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2009
    That's a darling little helper you have there:) And the project look great! Would love to see the final pen when it's complete...

8. Idahoegglover

Idahoegglover Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2012
    Nampa, Idaho
    Quote:Be careful with the rabbit hutch. I've put quail in my old hutch and they have all died. I', not sure why but you may want to rethink that

9. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    Quote:Be careful with the rabbit hutch. I've put quail in my old hutch and they have all died. I', not sure why but you may want to rethink that

Sorry that happened to you Idaho- Mine started in a rabbit hutch (scrubbed and bleached between) and had no health issues. This same hutch now houses a rabbit and 2 silkies and no troubles.

The biggest trouble I had was attempted escapes when the lid was lifted! [​IMG]

10. the lawsons

Dec 25, 2011
    NE Tennessee
    Finally finished!!!! Took longer than I thought but it will be worth it. Now if the rain will ever stop so I can carry it outside and get the birds in it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by