new queen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by turnleftdad, Jul 29, 2011.

1. turnleftdad

turnleftdad Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2010
    Dolly is a rr and is queen of the backyard except for my nina my germanshepard she pretty much rules the backyard. She will even take food from grace our other dog. Tomorrow I am putting my 4 jersey giants that I got in April in the big pen. Two of them are really big. LJ the real big one and the one in charge of the jg will stand up to dolly a little bit when they are in the yard but not for long. dolly is one of the first ladies that I got and she is also the smallest and she has been in charge from day one. Do I have to worry about one of them getting hurt. LJ is aready a good 2 inches taller than dolly although not filled out yet.

2. Cindilou

Cindilou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Largo, FL
    Have they been introduced before or is this the first time? Can they free range out all together for a while so you can monitor how they act for a while? They will undergo a new pecking order.

3. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

I think she'll be okay. [​IMG] after you introduce them slowly.

4. turnleftdad

turnleftdad Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2010
    I started putting them together in the yard a little at a time when they were 2 months. They were 3 days old when we got them and nina thinks that they are hers she even cleans them. They follow her around when she is outside when she is not I have been watching from the window and they hang by themselves and not with the other ladies. Dolly will run over and pick on them sometimes but she does that with all the ladies just to show she is in charge. Im worried about when I put them in the pen and coop together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by