New rabbit hutch built! (pics)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by mandelyn, Jun 9, 2011.

1. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Finally got the thing done and the bunnies moved in! Couple of paint touch up spots left, but it's functional. Next will be adding two runs for each side, since the doors drop down ramp style. The bunnies are litter box trained too, so that part of the bottom could be solid and not wire. So far they're holding to my plan! Buns are two female Flemish Giants, about half grown, only 4 months old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bought this one today off CL today for a whopping $50, but I'm using it as a brooder in the duck house for 3 little babies.

[​IMG]

2. QH Girl

QH Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Snazzy bun houses! Please post more pics when you get their runs set up.

Nice score on the hutch find on craigslist too [​IMG]

3. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    [​IMG] I need to get my butt in gear and build some for my lionheads I currently have 4 hutches and want 6-8 by winter

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

We have that hutch you got for $50. We have our soon to be mama in there. I am SOOO gonna show Ken the one you built!!!!

5. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Good job on the hutch! I have to make a new one for my bun soon [​IMG]

How long did it take you to construct?

6. Rollerman

Rollerman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Nice hutch! I really want to get some Flemmish. They are becomming very popular in my area. I like the stones around the hutch with the grass growing between. Thats a nice extra touch!

7. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    It took a full day (with an early start) and the following morning (for painting) to build it. I walked outside to a rectangle of 2x4s and asked what was happening. "That's your new hutch"

"Where's the feet to it?"

"What do you mean?"

"Most hutches I've seen had the leg posts as the corner hutch posts as well"

"Oh"

So we went ahead and built it without feet. The doors are 2x2 with a center 2x4. There is a lip around the bottom inside of 2x2s to provide a place to secure the flooring, half wood, half wire. A 2x4 in the middle, and two more length wise in the middle. I hear Flemish get big, if anything it's over built.

Since he didn't angle the roof "beams" we had little scrap pieces from the chicken roosts, those little pillars you see up front under the lip of the roof. He got a screw inside the pieces and screwed/glued them to the frame. Cut some boards to match the incline on the sides and in the center for the roof.

It would have been faster to build if he had done it more traditional with the feet all the way up the sides as well. I wanted it waste height like a typical hutch. But then decided, heck, let's leave it short, change the door style I had in mind, and give them runs too. I was thinking two doors on each side that swing out. Instead we did one big door that folds down, so it will be the ramp in and out.

It's feet are crooked, too many roots in the ground. Huge pain to set it. But we can unscrew the feet, throw it in the SUV and move it easily. Next time, we'll lay it on it's back and screw the feet on that way. Trying to set posts in mud, and then getting that heavy thing onto them and getting it level... Haha.

The only thing I don't like about it is the kink I got in the wire of the center divider. Irks me bad! I applied like I always do, but it didn't start right and ended up with a ripple I couldn't work out. At least it was on the inside.

We're going to build wooden boxes for winter, the plastic "nest boxes" I stole from the chickens are a summer hut. I went looking for toys for them... not many to choose from. Bought them parrot toys, same wood type used for rabbit chew sticks. Strung on a chain with a bell on the end. They ring the bells with their noses.

I remembered everything wrong with previous hutches we had built. Left a little bit of a gap (like a 1/4 inch) between the back board and the base frame. Made sure the flooring was flush. That way, if someone misses their litter box, I can hose it out and it has a place to drain without wetting everything.

The only flaw is that you need to be agile to get in there. The doors folding down like they do, you don't get as much reach as you would with a higher hutch and swing out doors. But that's alright, I'll half crawl in there. It's cute when I set the open door on a bucket and make a "porch" when I'm cleaning, and the rabbits come out and visit.

The whole thing is 8 ft long by 3 ft deep. So each bun-bun gets 12 sq ft. We'll need to build a hutch for a boy, but I'm not really going to look for a buck until October and try to find a nice one (in Fawn) that's basically grown or even proven. Then a weanling hutch. I'm thinking of building a duck brooder with rabbit hutch qualities so I can use it as needed for babies of whatever type.

The rock around the base... not planned. But it got churned up into a mud pit when we were wrestling it into place, then it rained. Put the stone down, some pea gravel, and grass seed, and recaptured the area from the mud.

8. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Looks nice! i keep all my lionheads in the basement lol i've seen a flemish once irl and man, are they BIG! [​IMG]

9. srpaint

srpaint Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Illinois
    Great Job!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by