New @ Raising our HENS...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by FreshEggNDaYoke, May 1, 2017.

1. FreshEggNDaYoke

FreshEggNDaYoke Just Hatched

May 1, 2017
    Hello Chicken Lovers,

My family and I recently started raising chickens and we have several breeds. We have all brown egg layers but are undecided on which breed to get for our "white" layers. Of coarse, we've heard and read much about the Leghorns but want to try another breed which has a good track record for laying everyday. Any suggestions or comments would be so helpful?

Thanks
    FreshEggsNDaYoke

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  2. Leah567

Leah567 Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to Byc!!! California whites, anconas, california grey, and blue andalusions lay white eggs

3. Leah567

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
  4. Leah567

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
  5. FreshEggNDaYoke

May 1, 2017
    Wow...Thank you for the quick response. Hopefully within the next few weeks, we're going shopping and will keep the name of these breeds on our list.
    Thanks again!

6. Leah567

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    Your welcome!!!!

7. FreshEggNDaYoke

May 1, 2017
    Sadly, the past week we've found two of our newly Leghorn hens face-up dead. They have plenty water and feed....We check on them every morning and several times throughout the day. Both times, they were found dead between 10a - 4pm.
    We,re in Florida and it is hot but their custom made coop is what I think large enough and it's under a huge breezy Oak tree. We've had one hen for several weeks and the other one, just a few days. I'm getting a little worried....please share your thoughts #thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by