New Rescue battery hens having eye problems and lethargic

Pookey1

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 28, 2014
I rescued 10 battery hens 2 weeks ago, at first I thought they were quiet because of the conditions they are used to but 5 seem to have eye problems and are mostly lethargic. They mostly keep them closed, 1 has one eye open one closed, another has a light swelling on one, she can open the other but it seems glazed and doesn't fully open. They blink alot when they do open their eyes. I have been reading lots of posts and im getting quite concerned as so many diseases and infections have been mentioned including respiratory and one of the hen tilts her head back and opens her beak like a gasp. There is no discharge on the eyes or around the nasal holes, no coughing or odd breathing. Eye drops have been mentioned, antibiotics, silver spray etc and I don't know which way to go. They are eating and 7 will come outside but 3 are very inactive. I have attached some photographs of their eyes. One of the hens comes outside alot and she's always grooming and I'm thinking possibly a mite problem too. She particularly pecks at the base at the tail and there seems to be a pink nubb about 2cm long. I have added apple cider vinegar to their water. They are being fed mixed grain and corn, pellets and fresh sweetcorn / spinach for treats. Any advice would be appreciated I've not kept hens for 5 years but I did for 5 consecutive years prior and Ive never experienced this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated I want to give these girls the BEST life

Paula

Attachments

• B708676E-018A-419E-8BF9-28C6D622E5FD.jpeg
    B708676E-018A-419E-8BF9-28C6D622E5FD.jpeg
    493.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 549BB7ED-AF12-4AFD-ABA1-F1318CF34A09.jpeg
    549BB7ED-AF12-4AFD-ABA1-F1318CF34A09.jpeg
    472.6 KB · Views: 7
  • B51A238E-906B-4B24-AC52-715F4618AB26.jpeg
    B51A238E-906B-4B24-AC52-715F4618AB26.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • EE576E5B-5435-4C33-B7D9-E048E96DDF85.jpeg
    EE576E5B-5435-4C33-B7D9-E048E96DDF85.jpeg
    416.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 5D95F8F7-C0F6-4B81-B1BD-A0666960E401.jpeg
    5D95F8F7-C0F6-4B81-B1BD-A0666960E401.jpeg
    394.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 0161CCCE-6939-429F-85C9-56A4047F1AB1.jpeg
    0161CCCE-6939-429F-85C9-56A4047F1AB1.jpeg
    465.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 61DF67A1-EED7-4FC7-892C-6003C246709F.jpeg
    61DF67A1-EED7-4FC7-892C-6003C246709F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
Could be a respiratory infection. When mines had it look different to yours. Some times vets will prescribe Tylan antibiotics however, I don't think you can buy it without a prescription so you may need to speak to a vet first. Mines got better itself in a couple of days without needing antibiotics but noticed that some times it is still breathing up in the evening slightly. Try not to worry, their is good websites which can help

Last edited:
Could be a respiratory infection. When mines had it look different to yours. Some times vets will prescribe Tylan antibiotics however, I don't think you can buy it without a prescription so you may need to speak to a vert first. Mines got better itself in a couple of days without needing antibiotics but noticed that some times it is still breathing up in the evening slightly. Try not to worry, their is good websites which can help
Thank you very much for your advice, I have already spoken to the vets for some prescriptions and they are clueless, i live in rural Ireland so they are used to dealing with farm animals but not hens. They are finding a vet with some experience to call me back. They are all still eating and drinking which is good

The oil or preen gland is located at the base of the tail, and sounds like what you are describing on your one hen. They will touch it and then spread oil all over the body.

I would agree that your new rescue hens may have come with a possible respiratory disease. Conjunctivitis or pinkeye and closing the eyes may be a result of ammonia odors or poor air circulation inside a coop, as well as a respiratory disease. So maintaining good air circulation and prevent dust and damp conditions is good to do. An antibiotic ointment or drop such as Terramycin or Neosporin in the eye may help the ones who are keeping eyes closed.

The best things to feed your hens is a balanced layer or all flock pellet or crumble as 90% of their feed. Corn, scratch grains, and fresh corn are too low in protein and lack the vitamins and minerals, so should be very limited as a small treat (even though they prefer them.) Chopped egg or canned tuna might be better high protein treats.

The oil or preen gland is located at the base of the tail, and sounds like what you are describing on your one hen. They will touch it and then spread oil all over the body.

I would agree that your new rescue hens may have come with a possible respiratory disease. Conjunctivitis or pinkeye and closing the eyes may be a result of ammonia odors or poor air circulation inside a coop, as well as a respiratory disease. So maintaining good air circulation and prevent dust and damp conditions is good to do. An antibiotic ointment or drop such as Terramycin or Neosporin in the eye may help the ones who are keeping eyes closed.

The best things to feed your hens is a balanced layer or all flock pellet or crumble as 90% of their feed. Corn, scratch grains, and fresh corn are too low in protein and lack the vitamins and minerals, so should be very limited as a small treat (even though they prefer them.) Chopped egg or canned tuna might be better high protein treats.
Thank you Liam, the oil gland makes sense as she did exactly as you described and then worked it around her feathers. I have picked up the eye drops from the chemist, a vet is site to call at 5 to discuss. At least they can prescribe the antibiotics / wormer etc. I will reduce the grain and try the Tuna. Their area is very spacious As is the coup with 3 roosts. they even have a spring access hole although the water is very hard. Thank you for your detailed reply. I doubt the vet will have to much knowledge on hens, would you recommend I ask for antibiotics as a precaution.

Paula

An antibiotic for the conjunctivitis such as Oxytetracycline, Tylosin, or Denagard would be very good. That treats mycoplasma or MG, a common respiratory disease, and that bacteria can also be a cause of reproductive infections. Baytril would be even better, but many vets will not use that one much.

The vet has given me some antibiotics to go in the water. He wanted me to inject them but I didn't have the confidence. I have used the eye gel already and I've just collected the antibiotics which I'll give now

An antibiotic for the conjunctivitis such as Oxytetracycline, Tylosin, or Denagard would be very good. That treats mycoplasma or MG, a common respiratory disease, and that bacteria can also be a cause of reproductive infections. Baytril would be even better, but many vets will not use that one much.
thank you, I have got eye gel and an antibiotic to go in their water. There's no name on it the vet prepared 4 doses into syringes and taped it to the door as he was coding when he called. Thank you for your advice

Back
Top Bottom