New Rescue Chick: Leg Issues - Not what i thought!

MagikalMisfitsMomma

In the Brooder
May 14, 2021
Yesterday, I took little road trip to pick up the little cross sweetie attached. I was originally told that she had, and had been getting treated for spraddle leg. I got a few grainy pictures (which I now get, having had to try and get a picture of her) and thought it looked more like slipped tendon. At that point the owner was uncomfortable and unable to provide that level of care. When I picked her up, I noticed that her leg looks almost completely twisted upside down and backwards, instead of that typical straight back, from a tendon issue. At this point the owner let me know that she was fine, up until being crushed by a broiler hen about 3x her size. So now I'm at a loss. Can anyone tell what I might be dealing with here, and what possible treatment options (Not culling until we've tried it all) are possible? She feels twisted all they way through to her hip...😕

Attachments

• 20210518_121010.jpg
    20210518_121010.jpg
    758.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210518_121120.jpg
    20210518_121120.jpg
    366.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210518_121222.jpg
    20210518_121222.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210518_121347.jpg
    20210518_121347.jpg
    430.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210518_121515.jpg
    20210518_121515.jpg
    594.8 KB · Views: 15
I would really take her to the vet for that. It could either be an injury like the person said, or it could be something caused by vitamin deficiency called Perosis. Honestly, it sounds like the previous owner either didn't know how to care for chickens properly (who allows their chicks to be with broilers) so it's not impossible. They could've been lying about how her leg got to that point. Feel around her leg for a slipped tendon or sprain. Is it causing her any visible pain when you touch it? Is it swollen? Either way, this probably isn't something you can fix on your own due to the severity. In addition, if this is caused by a deficiency, then there really is no cure. You can try adding choline to her diet though. It all depends on how long her leg has been in this state, and it sounds like it's been twisted at least slightly for a few days, which greatly reduces recovery chances. Sorry!

It looks like a possible twisted tibia, one of several types of leg bone deformities in poultry. There is no treatment. But an injury might have been possible as well. How old is she? I would try to see if she can get around on her own without splinting to try and eat and drink. A chick sling or hair can be helpful for a lame chicken, but if she can’t get around, that wouldn’t be a good life. If you haven’t already ried vitamins with riboflavin, I would. Here is an article about leg deformities in poultry:
https://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/leg-health-in-large-broilers

It looks like a possible twisted tibia, one of several types of leg bone deformities in poultry. There is no treatment. But an injury might have been possible as well. How old is she? I would try to see if she can get around on her own without splinting to try and eat and drink. A chick sling or hair can be helpful for a lame chicken, but if she can’t get around, that wouldn’t be a good life. If you haven’t already ried vitamins with riboflavin, I would. Here is an article about leg deformities in poultry:
https://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/leg-health-in-large-broilers
She is I think around 3 or 4 weeks. I've been in contact with the original owner for a little over 1 week, so it's been a little bit. I couldn't exactly pinpoint a timeline from her on when this started presenting, so that's been making this difficult. She seems to figure out moving by using her other hock and mix of flying/pushing/balancing with her wings. It's clumsy but effective. The leg doesn't seem to bother her, unless I'm messing with it, and then I can (slowly) get it tucked back under her and almost in a normal position. Its like it rolls over as I put it in place. Once it's there she can't hold it on her own, but it also doesn't seem to be uncomfortable. She's a tough little cookie, with a big loud attitude. I'm getting pretty fond of her pretty fast. I was thinking about slinging it to her body and making her a little cart... I'm worried that all the walking on her other hock has weakened the lower half of her "good" leg. Her toes stay curled and she doesn't have much perch or stand strength.

Back
Top Bottom