New rescue chicken, help with breed and age?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SparklesFam, Dec 14, 2016.

1. SparklesFam

SparklesFam New Egg

Jun 11, 2016
    I feel pretty confident she's female, tell me if I'm wrong.

Guess about age and breed? Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    I think it is either a Rhode Island red or a Production Red. It looks like a hen, at least 5-6 months maybe older (its hard to tell age once they are start to lay).

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  3. chickluvinfreak

chickluvinfreak Chillin' With My Peeps

She does look female and I would guess she's a Rhode Island Red. But they usually have black tipped tails so I'm not sure. Considering her size I'd say she's at least 4-6 months old but I don't know how to tell a chickens exact age after they're full grown.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  4. penny1960

penny1960 la la land awaits Premium Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    I have had production reds before and I agree she looks about
    the same please tell me are her wattles red? she looks like possibly a bit older than four
    months maybe about where you may see a few eggs soon.. how long have you had her please?

5. SparklesFam

SparklesFam New Egg

Jun 11, 2016

Her wattles and comb are light, not pink but pinkish. She has only been with us a few hours, a friend of a friend found her today and she seemed unhappily cold and unfed and no owner could be located. There was a house in their neighborhood with a coop previously but the house seems empty now and the coop was disassembled with a large hole in the fence so she's presumed abandoned. The rescuer and her neighbors have been seeing her wandering for a couple of weeks and she seems to not have a home.

She gobbled up a whole bunch of treats and feed and has been sucking down water so I think she's not had unfrozen water or unforaged food in a minute.

6. penny1960

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    you said she gobbled the feed, do you have other chickens? From what your saying I believe your thoughts are correct
    do not offer much more food this evening but keeping her in the dog crate is advised away from any birds you may have

7. SparklesFam

SparklesFam New Egg

Jun 11, 2016

Yes, we have three other chickens. This gal is separsted for now though in a crate in the garage with lots of clean dry hay. When can I introduce her to the other birds safely?

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Some recommend a 30 quarantine. Maybe you should check her for worms/ mites etc. and treat, if any. So one less thing to worry about for now. Glad she has a nice home.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I agree she's a production red hen.

I'm not sure if it's just her rough condition, but she looks older to me. It's hard to say, cause my thought is she's older than the 18 month mark. But if she is, she should have molted, and her feathers should be in better condition.....

10. penny1960

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    yes keep her apart for at least see how she looks and acts in the next week
    then use your judgement if she seems ill you should know within that time

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by