New rescue duck

RJKnott

Songster
Mar 25, 2020
Everyone say hello to Blue.
A rescue group in my town reached out to us as we took in another rescue of theirs. Someone they knew bought her from a local store Bd then their parents took it and dumped it in a local park and she was not doing well.

she was labeled by the store as a pekin, but she is small and has blue on her bill. Am thinking she is a mix. Anyone have any ideas?

she has some rough skin on her neck and was being severely over mated. She is spunky but affectionate

Attachments

• B8FD8AE2-C551-4D41-894D-13D175030C5F.jpeg
    B8FD8AE2-C551-4D41-894D-13D175030C5F.jpeg
    342.2 KB · Views: 18
  • B39648B9-6EDC-41FE-8531-DD46031775DC.jpeg
    B39648B9-6EDC-41FE-8531-DD46031775DC.jpeg
    296.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 97AE25F6-D74A-4A95-987C-0CC372B05BB8.jpeg
    97AE25F6-D74A-4A95-987C-0CC372B05BB8.jpeg
    482.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 76F1F491-9090-40D3-8875-CEF0426AE819.jpeg
    76F1F491-9090-40D3-8875-CEF0426AE819.jpeg
    264.4 KB · Views: 12
She is a very pretty girl. From your description it sounds small for a Swedish. Do you know about how old the is? My swedish were pretty small until about 3-4 months old. So many be she is still growing.
About 3 months. Maybe 4
She’s so timid. We couldn’t pick her up til late so I’m keeping her in a make shift pen in the living room for the night and will introduce her to the flock in the morning. But she is hiding behind the bin I put in there and every so often just leans her head back to peek at me and size me up. She’s still deciding if I’m to be trusted or not.
My wife was holding her on the ride home and she seemed comfy on my wife. My wife was living it til Blue pooped on her. I told her it’s a right of passage 😂

A duck pooping on you is definitely a right of passage!

Poor little girl. At least she is going to have a great home now. And lots of friends now.

We rescued a duckling that a college student bought. She was so starved, weak, and craving attention. We got her in time to have her bounce back. I do think she is a bit small for a khaki. But she is so much happier. I am sure your girl will also be happier in time.

Yeah she will be happy. 5 other ducks 4 of which. Are females, and my drake shows very little interest in mating so she won’t have to worry about over mating anymore. And my ducks took to my last rescue duck immediately so hoping they take to Blue the same way. They al like to forage for worms and splash in the pool together so she will have other ducks to frolic and play with

Last edited:
Never had Swedish before. I have raised an Indian runner and an American black duck and gave them to a fried who has a flock that he raises on his property a couple years ago. Currently I have 3 Perkins and 2 rouens

she seems very curious. She’s hiding behind the bin I have her to sleep in and every now and then peeks out at me

It does appear she has at least two sore developing on the very right, and very left digit toe. It would be helpful to see it cleaned, but it looks like there may be a sore developing on the middle digit, and the main footpad as well.

Bumblefoot, or commonly called "Podermatsisis" can be brought on by several things, such as hard/rough substrate, causing the plantar surfaces of the feet to flake, and allow bacteria to enter. It can also be caused by malnutrition,weight-bearing on the foot, or trauma to the area.

Judging from the pictures, it doesn't look like you'll have to be aggressive with your treatment, and do surgery, or start her on antibiotics. Instead, focus on keeping her environment clean, dry, and soft padded. Soaking the foot in Epsom salts, or a chlorhexidine bath mixture may be good. Applying an ointment such as silver Silvadene cream to the lesions, then wrapping may allow the ointment to loosen up the core, and applying a dilute amount of DMSO, may help reduce swelling.

Sadly, keeping her in on clean grounds for a few days won't be long enough. I would suggest you aim to figure out, how to keep their grounds in the coop less wet, and muddy to encourage healing of the current sores, and prevent future sores from developing.
I was going to clean out their pen tomorrow and put fresh straw down. I will see if I can rearrange where their pools are to try to keep them from getting water all over

Looks like a silver swedish or silver runner. Hard to tell the posture. Definitely not a pekin.

Once we saw her we figured she was a mix with something or was mislabeled by the store the person got her at. She’s just a hair bigger than a mallard so if she was part pekin, one of her parents was tiny

Back
Top Bottom