New resin coop

Jami F

Chirping
Sep 11, 2020
Western Kentucky
I have a new 8x10 resin coop for 3 hens and one bantam rooster. I put sand in floor but having heavy rains today and sand is wet. No leaks in roof, it’s coming from the floor side seams I think. Any solutions to help stop it? Will the wet sand hurt them? Help please

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    526.5 KB · Views: 38
I have a new 8x10 resin coop for 3 hens and one bantam rooster. I put sand in floor but having heavy rains today and sand is wet. No leaks in roof, it’s coming from the floor side seams I think. Any solutions to help stop it? Will the wet sand hurt them? Help please
I have several similar coops. They don’t seal well at the bottom, chalk can be applied on the outside and a sand berm built around the coop to slow the waters ability to get up against the coop.

I live in the PNW and bought into all the sand hype.. I hate it! It never dries out in my location.. and also just a giant litter box eventually. :sick

You might consider going deep litter or I use semi deep litter on top of my sand base now.. aiming to be like the forest floor mulch.. soft with many layer of multiple size particles.. to stay fluffy instead of compacting down. I still pick up droppings I see.. and it never gets composting like the DL method.. but is working well for me..

Bare ground, including sand is a breeding ground for harmful bacteria.

Add in some dry leaves, grass clippings, pine needles, large chunk bark, wood shaving, etc.. to invite good bacteria and bugs to the party.. and balance things out!

When my covered run was just sand.. the edges stink to high heaven when it rained. Since making the switch.. no funk even when it rains!

Otherwise.. you could consider sealing the seems at the floor before your next rain.

My issue with leaks in sheds.. comes on cold sunny morning when the sun shines on the roof and condensation drips off the ceiling.

Congrats on your new set up, I hope you're enjoying BYC! :frow

I have several similar coops. They don’t seal well at the bottom, chalk can be applied on the outside and a sand berm built around the coop to slow the waters ability to get up against the coop.
Interesting, thank you! :)

I didn't realize this could be an issue.. but it makes sense. I would consider adding in a "drip edge" of sorts.. like they use for roof transitions.. a tyvex wrap going under the inside of the wall and over the outside of the foundation.. :pop

Here’s a pic
Looks like you built a foundation and floor.
Likely water is running down the outside of shed and onto the edge of the floor and into the coop. @TARDIS37379 's suggestion of caulking the outside bottom edge might work.
I's get in there during a downpour with a flashlight and make sure it's not seeping in anywhere else, look fro roof all dawn the walls.

Looks like you built a foundation and floor.
Likely water is running down the outside of shed and onto the edge of the floor and into the coop. @TARDIS37379 's suggestion of caulking the outside bottom edge might work.
I's get in there during a downpour with a flashlight and make sure it's not seeping in anywhere else, look fro roof all dawn the walls.
Thank you for helping. I appreciate everyone taking the time.

Back
Top Bottom