1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new ringneck doves :)

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by Ducklove334, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    I got four new Ringnecks yesterday at the auction, to keep my lonely "male" company, after his mate got taken by a predator when they freeranged.

I think I have two males, and two females, my guy looks just like the two I think are males, as all three coo

the first "male"
    [​IMG]
    the second Male"
    [​IMG]
    the two "females"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

heres my guy with three of his buddies, he's the one with his head up, he was watching the surroundings, as well as the sky while the others ate, is that normal?
    [​IMG]

Squeaks checking everything out
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  2. Birdman18

Birdman18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Queens, NY
    Wow they look nice, i have the same breed of doves too their nice birds to keep. Great pics, thats a nice flight pen you got for them, i like how you have straw at the bottom of their pen its looks great!! Wish i could have a nice setup like that.
    Enjoy them [​IMG] !!

3. Ducklove334

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    yup, the original pair lived in a big cage in our room, but I wanted something bigger, so out to the duck pen they went, then the male got out somehow, his mate followed, they lived around the house, and ate out of thier bowl in a tree, they even went over to the nieghbors to eat, then about 2 or so weeks ago, I stopped seeing the female, only the male was coming around, and I havn't seen her since, the male is now permanently in the duck pen with his buddies,no more free ranging for him!

he looks happier than I've seen him look for weeks!

andddd, he's already got eyes for one of the girls too [​IMG]

4. PQ

PQ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Platina, Ca.
    I have read you can tell by beaks pink girl black boy for this breed of dove... What I would like to know is how to tell with white doves? LOL

5. Ducklove334

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:well, then if thats the case, then I've now got three males and two females, yay

I am hoping a couple will pair up, and make lots of babies LMAO

6. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    Nice looking doves

7. PQ

PQ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Platina, Ca.
    The females are quite young, the last one still has no feathers coming down on beak, you got really lucky getting young birds! Best of luck with mating! Hope you get lots and lots and lots of hatches! [​IMG]

8. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
    That's pretty cool.

We've got a little flock of 8 +2 youngsters +2 little nestlings +2 eggs.

If any get loose around here, they don't stick around but for a day or two and then they're off. Greener pastures or hawk food, I dunno.

So....why does anybody keep doves anyways? I think their cooing is pretty neat, but I have to constantly purge the excesses or it gets way too loud.

As far as sexing them, I've never read of any easy way to differentiate. I figure I'll get some leg bands and observe them to see who pairs up and then band them at night.

9. Ducklove334

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    the cooing is quite pretty, one of the males has a two-sylible type song [​IMG], he goes "coo-coo coooo" instead of the typical one sylible song, the other two have.

they are very fun to watch too, I witnessed one of the new males trying to mate yesterday, but it was with my male O_O, maybe he got confizzed, or my "male" is a female,but he coos?, so odd

10. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Doves are such pretty little things! Congrats on your new birds! I'll bet he feels better having some company [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by