New RIR chicks...Picture added

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by eman, Aug 18, 2007.

1. eman

eman Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2007
    Burton, Ohio
    I had 9 out of 12 RIR eggs hatch last night in my home made bator. My question is I have one chick that is a lot darker than the others. Is this a sex link thing?

Eric

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2007
  2. homecatmom

homecatmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Cute picture. I have 2 RIR and one is like yours much darker than the other. Being new to having chickens I am not sure if it makes a difference or not. I will wait and see your answers. In 3 weeks the changes from little fluff balls like yours to feathered "teenagers" has been very surprising to me. Have fun with the little ones![​IMG]

3. ChrystalGail

ChrystalGail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Casa Grande, AZ
    Awe!!! So cute!!! This hatching thing is so much fun!

Eric... How did you make your bator? I did mine like the chic chick bator but without the water wriggler, since I can't find one. I have eggs that are due to hatch in a week.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I say that darker one is a bit dark even for true RIR's. Maybe some roo got into the breeder pen. [​IMG]

Else it could just be genes for that bird and you'll have a nice dark hen. [​IMG]

5. User48

User48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2007
    Sorry, can't help you with speculation on the darker one, but had to chime in and say how cute they are & congrats to you on accomplishing what you did with a homemade bator. We have 5 almost 1-wk old chicks & out of the assortment of 5, the RI red is the clear favorite. I envy you having so many of them!!

Laura

6. kelly

kelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2007
    OHHH They are so cute! I have RIR's and in a couple of weeks after vacation I want to build an incubator and try hatching some. Now I can't wait! Thanks for the pics.

Kelly/Alabama

7. DementedHam

DementedHam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Southern California
    How cute! Congratulations. Maybe another roo got in the breeding pen, or a super reccessive gene chose to act up. [​IMG]

Maybe you left that one in the bator a bit too long and got toasted. [​IMG] j/k

EDIT: You should name it smokey, or toasty, or hot tamale. DO IT! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2007
  8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:[​IMG]

That MUST be why! Too close to the heat elements!

9. Krazy

Krazy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2007
    California
    Lol! Could be true the rest are krispy [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by