New RIR Flock... what to look for....Update-They're HOME!!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by X2Farm, Jul 15, 2010.

1. X2Farm

X2Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Homer, GA
    So we're unexpectedly picking up a small flock (5 RIR hens and 1 RIR roo) tomorrow [​IMG]:ya Couldn't beat the deal, so, Hubs said go ahead and I made the call [​IMG]

I'd think their flock dynamics are already set up, as they're all living together right now. Should I expect a change when I move them to our place? I understand it will disrupt them a bit, and the egg laying might get thrown off/stop till they settle, but what else should I be keeping an eye out for?

Oh I'm so excited [​IMG] [​IMG] wasn't expecting this, but, we'll have our first grown/laying chickens months sooner then expected (chicks coming next Friday) [​IMG] I feel like a giddy school girl, I think I've lost my mind [​IMG] [​IMG]

They'll be housed in a medium sizes triangular chicken tractor, which I have to finish tonight, and I'll be giving them a small roaming run, as we'll be building a big coop/run area when we move in a couple weeks... Will they be ok with that set up temporarily?

(scuse the random rambling of this post.. I'm too excited and my brains all jumbled [​IMG] [​IMG] )

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2010
  2. pkw

pkw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    Just keep your small chicks seperated away from the adult chickens when you get them. The adults will kill or injure them. I am waiting for my smaller chicks to catch up to the larger ones so I can let them be together.

Oh and congratulations. I like RIRs

3. X2Farm

Jul 6, 2010
    Homer, GA
    Thank you!!!

Yes, the chicks will be brooded in the house till they're 6wks or so, then slowly integrated to outside in the coop/run, then hopefully in with the RIR's down the line a lil bit..

4. X2Farm

Jul 6, 2010
    Homer, GA
    I did just talk to the gal who I'm pickin up the RIR's from tomorrow. She said one was being picked on and she had to seperate her from the others. Should there be any precautions I take with the new crew? Keep that one hen seperate?

5. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    6 weeks is waaaay too young to add into a tractor full grown birds! Especially if you have them in a small space where they can't get away from the older birds. Unless you have a large run, I wouldn't mix those birds until they are at least 12 weeks old and its still going to be rough on them.

As for what you can expect from a small flock of RIR??? It depends on how old they are...if they are young and just starting to lay you can expect some of the best layers ever!!! Large beautiful brown eggs and lots of them!

On another note...the others picking on that one hen is even more of a reason to hold off on mixing those young birds with the older. (in a small space) It shows that they are aggressive and will more than likely be relentless on the younger birds.

If you can manage to integrate everyone into one big happy family when the time comes you are going to LOVE those RIRs!

6. X2Farm

Jul 6, 2010
    Homer, GA
    Ok, I gotta clarify....

my chicks won't even be here till next Friday.... they'll be day olds, so integrating them and RIR's is a long ways off...

These hens are approx 2yrs old, from what the lady said. The only problem she's had with em, is the one getting picked on right now.

I'm hoping when I pick up the 6 RIR's tomorrow morning, they'll make the journey ok (1hr or so in the truck one way) and settle alright here at the house.

Should there be any special care for the RIR's once they're back home here aside from spending time with them? They also come with feed, so that one consistency should help some, I'd think [​IMG]

7. Lbrad7

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    2 years is the age where most hens laying starts to drop off but you should still get 6 mo to a year of good production. Then it will slow way down. If they show nice traits, are friendly and turn out to be good layers, I would gather up a couple dz eggs and put them in an incubator. Get some chicks out of the deal at the very least, before production drops off.

You are getting them toward the end of their optimal laying production, but you will never hear me say anything bad about RIRs. They are some of the best birds ever for a back yard flock. If the laying drops off too far...remember they are DUAL purpose birds and the holidays will be here before you know it!

8. tasymo

tasymo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Mulliken
    RIR's are beautiful chickens! I've got one, and she is my "head hen" for my flock of six. She does tend to be a bit bossy to the other girls, and isn't my friendliest girl, either. She does keep close tabs on her surroundings and alerts her flock to intruders. She is very stately and adores sunbathing. I have heard that RIR's tend to gang up on other chickens in some circumstances, so I'm glad I only have one. Sometimes, if she is being too aggresive, I'll pick her up and carry her around for a few minutes to remind her that I'M the boss.

9. X2Farm

Jul 6, 2010
    Homer, GA
    Thank yall for all the advice and knowledge [​IMG] We're headin out shortly to go pick em up [​IMG]

LBrad, I thought about that when she told me how old they are. I figure we'll get some eggs for a bit, and after the aquisition of the chicks and some time, we'll have younger layers gearin up and the RIR's can just live life on the farm with us till nature takes its course.

I'm hoping they do alright with the mild chaos that'll be going on in the next few weeks with the move and all. I'm gonna be sure and keep an eye on em so hopefully I notice before they get too stressed out.

I'm so excited, I feel a bit stupid about it, but, its a fun new "adventure" for us [​IMG]

10. Lbrad7

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    I'm really excited for you!

I adopted 8 hens from a friend years ago and they were about the same age as yours. I knew they wouldn't be laying much longer but still loved the birds. For me its not all about the utility of raising chickens. I just love having them around.

Good luck! I can't wait to hear how it goes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by