1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new roo - badly swolllen feet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Vickir73, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Vickir73

Vickir73 Chickens Ate My Brain

Sep 9, 2010
    Leggett/Livingston
    Got a new flock in about 3 weeks ago (kept them segregated, etc - have received new NPIP test (passed) for new and old birds - no worries about a disease spreading throughout the flock) and about a week after getting them, we noticed the roo's feet were badly swollen and they appear to be getting worse. At first I thought scaly leg mites and have been treating him for that, but the scales do not appear to be sticking out or separating (like I've seen in other pictures and I do have a hen with this problem and his legs are completely different than her legs and he had no access to her before we noticed his legs). I cannot find any signs of injury and do not see anything that might be foreign that would need to be cut out. No pus, no oozing or bleeding.

Please give me suggestions on what I can do to help him. The swelling appears to be getting worse and he is in quite a bit of pain. He appears to be a great roo so I'd hate to put him down if I don't have to.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    I don't know for sure, but I'm thinking you're dealing with a severe case of bumblefoot that will need systemic antibiotics. Do you have a vet nearby that will treat chickens? If not, I don't have enough experience to give you advice about which antibiotics to use for this if you can't get him to a vet. You might want to soak his feet in epsom salt mixed in warm water, to clean his feet so you can better see what's going on. Hoping others with more experience will give you some additional advice. Wish I could do more for you.....good luck with him :)

Edited to add: Here's a link to a thread on this site that describes gout causing foot swelling. This could be what you're dealing with, since I don't see any scabs on your roo's feet to indicate bumblefoot. You might want to search more under gout, until someone with more experience than I comes along. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/667080/swollen-feet-on-hen

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  3. Vickir73

Sep 9, 2010
    Leggett/Livingston
    bumblefoot -that's the word that's been at the tip of my tongue for days and haven't been able to remember. Yes, I haven't been able to find any scabs that would indicate bumblefoot. Vets in my area will not treat chickens. They say chickens are a waste of time :( I will definitely read the thread you listed and if any others want to throw their ideas out it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Red :)

4. Vickir73

Sep 9, 2010
    Leggett/Livingston
    ok after reading the thread Red posted it does sound more like gout than bumblefoot, but I will soak them tonight in epsom salt and clean them really well to make sure there is not scab (even tho I'm pretty sure there's not one). If it is gout, what penicillin and dosage do I give him? for how long? how often? just when swelling gets bad? I will search the thread for gout in the meantime to see what I can find.

5. cowcreekgeek

cowcreekgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
  6. what did I do

what did I do Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Montana
    I have one that looks like that but I'm sure mine is due to her feet getting frostbitten. She stayed out one very cold night. Have you had any very cold weather?

7. Vickir73

Sep 9, 2010
    Leggett/Livingston
    Cowcreek, could be an infection, but article doesn't say what type of antibiotic or how much and I have no idea.

What, we have had a few cold night, but they have been completely enclosed and I'm pretty sure it's not frostbite. my coop is completely enclosed from the weather (no wind exposure) and the way the roosts are, their feet are completely covered by their bodies at night.

8. cowcreekgeek

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    I haven't seen frostbite not leave other signs (blackening, necrotic tissue, reddening, etc.) and swelling would (I think) be indicative of infection.

As to the coop? Cold 'n dry is far better than warm 'n wet ... better to acclimate them to the temperatures, 'n let a bit of air flow through.

Ast to the article? It's further down the page, under Treatment: "Staphylococcosis can be successfully treated with antibiotics, but a sensitivity test should be performed because antibiotic resistance is common. Antibiotics used to treat Staphylococcus infections include penicillin, erythromycin, lincomycin, and spectinomycin."

A caution: Some Staph is resistant, and staph in some places is very hard to get the antibiotic to ... two factor which may limit this bird's response to treatment.

9. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Here is a link to another thread on this site dealing with gout. I don't have any first hand experience with this, but I still think based in everything I've read that you could be dealing with gout. The thread in this link contains another link in post #5 that provides some good information and pictures of swelling from gout. Your chicken's condition might be best assessed by a vet who can determine just what is going on and prescribe the proper treatment. Any vets in your area that treat chickens? Unfortunately, they're hard to find. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/702495/swollen-feet-on-cockerel

10. cowcreekgeek

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    No heat or lameness knocks a bit of probability outta my theory, and puts my least favorite hen at risk of loss to Vickir73
    (was bettin' it'd turn out to be Staph ~'-)

The link from that thread, originally provided by dawg53, and now RhodeIslandRedFan:
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/232/gout

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by