New roo blues

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Lifetime chicken lover, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Lifetime chicken lover

Lifetime chicken lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2009
    Rogers, MN
    Hi!
    I just got a new little bantum roo to eventually add to my flock of 7 hens.
    His previous owner told me he was very docile and hand raised and I have no reason to not believe her. In most ways he is very docile and calm. But it seems he cannot stand quarantine. When the kids and I are with him he's very calm and sweet, doesn't mind the kids picking him up, etc. But as soon as I leave him alone he starts pacing in the kennel and clucking loudly. A few times when I first let him out of the kennel, he'll run at my feet and peck me hard!! After that, he's ok. I can imagine that he must be lonely. We're only a few days into quarantine and I spend as much time as I can with him, but obviously have other things to do than sit around with a lonely chicken.

I just think I need to get him out of quarantine and introduce him to my hens sooner. He has had medicated feed all of his life until he came to my house a few days ago, now he gets Purina flock raiser. So I can't imagine he has worms or any bacteria. What do you all think? I feel like if I leave him in quarantine much longer, he's going to become a mean, isolated roo. HELP!!!

2. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I tried to keep my rooster in quarantine it did not work. He escaped I found him free ranging with my girls. I was lucky I have heard people say that their flocks where almost wiped out because the did not keep chickens in quarantine not sure what to tell you.

3. TheMainException

TheMainException Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Lebanon, PA
    You could try putting just one hen in with him and see how that goes. I have heard of people putting just one animal with a quarantined animal to be sure that it isn't a healthy carrier of any diseases. This could keep him company and make sure he isn't a carrier without risking the entire flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by