new roo in the birdiehood

alaskachick

Songster
9 Years
Jun 13, 2010
Wasilla, Alaska
I bought an 18 week Maran roo. I bought him on impluse because I found out that my little flock of chickens did not include the rooster I paid for. Also, I had researched Delaware chickens and decided those are the ones I wanted. Well I bought Light Brahmas. The Seller said they were Delwares and what did I know when I looked at them as chicks. Turns out the feathers on the outside of the legs should of clued me in. Well, anyway I am keeping them (11) and now going to do my research on the Light Brahmas to make sure they can stand up to the Alaska winters. Back to the roo part, when will the roo start cockel dootle dooing? Also... what is the average age that they start trying to mate with the hens? Thanks

Any time now. My RIR roo is crowing and being a pest at 16 weeks. I suspect you'll start seeing behavior in the next few weeks. Then, you won't be able to shut him up.
lau.gif
gig.gif

At 18 weeks it shouldn't be very long at all before you hear not quite 'cock-a-doodle-dooooo' but more like 'och-a-oocha-oo' then he'll get better at it over a few weeks and then the girls had better watch out.

Try crowing at him and see if he responds, nothing like a bit of competition to get them going.

You must be the only person I've ever seen on BYC to have NOT gotten a cockerel in with their purchase - seems like most folks get two or three (that they didn't want!).

Quote:
*Raising hand to indicate membership in the second group!!*

Now, as to crowing and performing The Rooster's Duties, 18 weeks is later than any of mine have demonstrated same. Wait, four of my five cockerels haven't managed to do the Wild Thing - Carl the first Roo won't let them!

Back
Top Bottom