New Roo Introductionto 'the girls' question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by boilerjoe_96, Apr 6, 2008.

1. boilerjoe_96

boilerjoe_96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2007
    West Lafayette, IN
    what is best way to aclimate your new roo to your place and to the girls?

I bought a 1 year old RIR roo. Spurs were pretty long(my 1 yr australorp didn't have near the spur length).

Any thing special to do?

2. OurLittleFarm

OurLittleFarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2008
    South Western PA
    I would trim those spurs for one. And if you can separate your run so they could see each other thru the fence that would give them a chance to get to know each other. You can get the spurs to be much shorter over time. Just clip back regularly till you are just about to the dark area and over time it will receede.

3. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Spurs don't recede, you have to keep trimming them as they grow out. You can find out information on trimming HERE . As for putting them together, putting a rooster with hens is usually not a problem as he will only have one thing on his mind, lol, but if you feel the need to introduce him easy like, try waiting until dark, when the birds are good and set on the roost, and put the rooster on the roost with them, and when they wake up together in the morning, they won't be as aggressive with each other. Good luck!

4. OurLittleFarm

OurLittleFarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2008
    South Western PA
    Sorry...I should have explained more. The spur won't receede but the quick part inside (the part that bleeds when you cut it) will.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Oh do not just put that roo in with your hens unless you are willing to risk every single one of them dying from disease or illness.

Please read this first.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=30851

Please keep a new roo or any chicken for that matter away from your main flock for at least 4 - 6 weeks. Not even in the same building as your flock. Away as far as you can get from your flock. Tend your flock first. Then tend the second. Good biosecurity means healthy happy flocks!

Do trim the spurs. Those long spurs could rip your hens to shreds and then you'll have another mess on your hands.

Once you do finally integrate him with your hens it may take awhile before the accept him. Hens can be mean and picky. He might have to earn the right to service them.

6. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Yes MissPrissy, that is good advice, and I forgot to mention it because it is a given in my mind...lol! That's one thing that a lot of people over look. Good bio-security is the most important thing you can do, period.

7. red-hen

red-hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Quote:Excellent post. [​IMG]

8. eggchicken master

eggchicken master Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2008
    white salmon,washington
    what you need to do is trimm the spurs and put him in with the hens immidiatly. if you keep in there and dont take him out, within a week he should be mating and taking care of the girls.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by