1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new roo not mating with hens? why?help please

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shennessey818, Jan 12, 2015.

1. shennessey818

shennessey818 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2014
    Michigan
    So i got a ee roo(i kept him seperated from my flock)and then i put him in with my hens. Hes been in there for about 1 week now and i havent seen him mating once with any of my hens? What could be the problem? I havent checked the fertile of the eggs bc i took out my rir roo when i put him in (so they would still be fertile from the rir). My rir goes to town on my hens to the point he overmates them. Why is my ee roo so different? Will he ever mate my ladies? Ee roo is around 1 1/2 yrs old.my rir will be a 1yr in march. Could the age play a role? Please help really wanting to get some fertile eggs from the ee roo and my hens.

2. rainbowrooster

rainbowrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    I have had a few roosters that just don't mate all the time and never saw them do so but we hatched plenty off chicks. You wont know for sure until you actually check eggs for fertility.

3. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    He also has to work his way to the top of the pecking order before the hens will allow him to mount them.

4. shennessey818

Jun 1, 2014
    Michigan

Thank you.. im just to impatient i think lol.i thought pecking order may had something to do with it. Well hopefully soon i will see some mating lol. Thanks again

5. shennessey818

Jun 1, 2014
    Michigan
    Also how long till the eggs wont be fertile from my rir anymore? Is it around 30 days?

6. The Colonel

The Colonel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2014
    Middle TN
    X2, they won't let him until he's established himself as the flock's dominant. Or at least a little higher up in the chain. Is the RIR still around as well, they may not accept him if the other guy is still somewhat present.

Also, it takes a full week after the beginning of mating for fertility to take place, and 3-4 weeks before infertility sets in.

As someone above me has already stated, it may come down to you running a hatch before you will be able to tell if your EE is doing his business or not, you should be able to tell fairly quickly who the babies came from.
    If you are intent on committing time to this. Pick a hen that you know her eggs from everyone else's, crack it in a bowl to see if it's fertile. If so, that's your tester. Check her egg every few days until there is no bullseye present. Then you know it'll be your EE if they bullseye again.

7. shennessey818

Jun 1, 2014
    Michigan
    Thank you very informative post :) yes my other roo is still around but in another coop/pen, they are right next to each other though. Okay im gonna try that. Thanks so much!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by