1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New roo with two hens, won't come out of the coop (2 weeks)!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by silver12b, Dec 14, 2013.

1. silver12b

silver12b New Egg

May 8, 2009
    Rathdrum, ID
    They won't hang with the other roo and his girls. They don't fight or anything. In fact they will even roost next to the others. As soon as I open the pop up door, all my original chickens and roo, go outside. Then the other roo and his girls jump down from the roost, and eat like they are starving! They NEVER come out! It has been 2 weeks! HELP? Just a note, I am able to pet and hold ALL of my chickens. The rhode Islands are a little apprehensive, and I have seen them go after the new girls, when I have FORCED them outside.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They eat like they are starving because the established flock is chasing them away from the feed. Make sure that they continue to get enough feed and water, and keep an eye on the flock rooster to make sure he doesn't beat the stuffing out of the new rooster. Eventually the hens will integrate. The new rooster may or may not become part of the flock.

3. silver12b

silver12b New Egg

May 8, 2009
    Rathdrum, ID
    Thanks! "Roy" doesn't pay any attention to the new guy or his hens. He just manages his 11 girls. Should I put them outside? The run has a back yard and a front yard.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I think that they will eventually acclimate on their own. The 'trouble' may start in the spring if the new guy dares to challenge Roy.

5. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    They should eventually come out when they are accepted by the others and not chased after. Like said in the post above mine the 2 roosters may start to be an issue. I personally have never successfully put two adult roosters together. It is usually better when they grow up together as they have their pecking order set from a young age.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by