New roo!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by paganfish, Nov 4, 2007.

1. paganfish

paganfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Fleming, Colorado
    OK! The Blue Andalusian chick that everyone (but me) thought would be a hen turns out just MIGHT be a roo! [​IMG]

My dilemma is this: he (Luciano Pavarotti....was calling him Lucy.) is in the coop with DiEGGo (who fights all the roos here). [​IMG]

So far, no fights have happened between those two. Pavarotti does chase the chickens though (that's how I figured she might be a HE!) and I think it's just a matter of time...but I hope not. [​IMG]

I have a separate coop for the bigger hens (where his mom is too) and it's been suggested I move him to the bigger bird coop and away from the Banty coop (where his surrogate mom hatched him) ASAP! For it's only a matter of time before the two will fight...(Sunny and Dieggo fought once and it was NASTY!) [​IMG]

I am thinking to give it a few more weeks to see what happens. Pavarotti was born the first week of Aug. I think he's still too young to move. Eventually though...I will have to move him to the other coop. [​IMG]

After all my digressing...my query is this. How long should I wait before transferring him to the bigger one? I let all the birds out together so there's no need for major adjustment...just that at night - they sleep in different coops. For now...

~c: >

PS He's so handsome!!! [​IMG]

2. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    I would give it a while. Spanish chickens are pretty androgynous. Some you would swear are roosters, and then they suprise you with an egg.

Rufus

3. paganfish

Sep 15, 2007
    Fleming, Colorado
    Yup! I thought of that too...

It should be, "don't count my roosters before they hatch...an egg." LOL!

Thanks!

4. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    don't know the answer. just writing to say i love the name pavarotti for a rooster. that is too perfect.

5. paganfish

Sep 15, 2007
    Fleming, Colorado
    Quote:Thanks! His mom's name is Jackie Blue! LOL! I get silly with names...

6. OkapisRule

OkapisRule Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2007
    Northern georgia
    Mabe a picture would help. [​IMG]

7. paganfish

Sep 15, 2007
    Fleming, Colorado
    Oops! Sorry. Here's the picture of Pavarotti (or Lucy) :

(Don't look at the poop it was the day BEFORE I decided to clean that coop. Ugh!)

[​IMG]

and this is his mom...Jackie Blue. The big blue/gray hen in the background:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  8. LynnGrigg

LynnGrigg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Winston Salem, NC
    Gosh, mom Jackie is so pretty. I think the young Pavie is a hen though I can't really see the feathers that great. Maybe (she?) just has a bold personality.

9. paganfish

Sep 15, 2007
    Fleming, Colorado
    Hey Lynn

Pavie! I love it! IF she's a hen...that's her name! I like it better than Lucy! Somehow Lucy reminds me of that bratty Peanuts girl. LOL!

Pavarotti or Pavie it is! Is it ok if I use it?

~c:->

10. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    looks like a girl to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by