New Roo

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bucklev, Dec 4, 2009.

1. bucklev

bucklev Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2008
    Kenduskeag,Me
    I am getting an awesome new BR roo tomorrow.I just wanted some opinions on the best way to introduce him to my ladies.They are about 8 months old and thus far it has just been the girls.I do plan on quaranteen.thanks

2. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    He'll introduce himself! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. bucklev

Dec 31, 2008
    Kenduskeag,Me
    [​IMG] I am sure he will lol I was just curious if there might be any fear of aggresion either from him or the girls.

4. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    Maybe a little crazy for second,, but they will be fine!![​IMG]

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It depends on his maturity and personality. If he is still immature and cannot immediately establish dominance over the ladies, they may pick on him horribly. It is something to watch for. If he has sufficient self-confidence and maturity to establish dominance as the master of the flock, he should be safe from them.

It also depends on the maturity and personality of your 8 month old pullets. I'd expect most if not all are laying but I have some that are about the same age and laying but they still resist the advances of a rooster. My pullets have enough room to get away so there is no real violence, just some quick running and evading. If the rooster could corner them, I'd think there might be more violence.

A rooster establishes dominance over the hens by mating with them. He needs to establish this dominance to perform some of his duties, not just producing fertile eggs but also some duties related to taking care of his flock. Not all roosters are good roosters, but a good one will protect the weaker members of his flock from the more aggressive, including protecting chicks from the hens. He will stop vicious fights between the hens. He will give them warnings and find them food and good places to nest. He'll also give his life in defense of his flock. For a lot of this, he needs to be dominant.

I would expect things to probably go pretty well if he is at least as old as the pullets or maybe just a little bit older. There is a chance your current dominant pullet(s) will resist his dominance and there could be some violence but he should be able to overcome it.

I am still deciding which of my pullets will be part of the permanent laying/breeding flock. One of my criteria for deciding which ones stay is whether they resist the advances of the rosoter. I want to hatch eggs so they need to be fertile. A hen that resists the rooster although she is laying does not fit in with my plans. A willing hen also helps make my flock more peaceful. But that is just me. Your situation may be different.

Good luck!!!

6. bucklev

Dec 31, 2008
    Kenduskeag,Me
    Thanks for the info ridgerunner I couldnt agree with you more thats why I have a roo.The fertile eggs are great but Im looking for a little protection for the girls.It sounds kinda mean but I would rather a roo get eatin by Mr. Fox than my girls I have worked so hard taking care of.I lost 4 in to nights to a fox not to long ago.I will say though that straightened the rest of the flock out on the whole going in the coop at night.[​IMG] you could set your watch by them now;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by