New Roost for the Suedenator

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by speckledhen, Aug 28, 2008.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Been having trouble from my Suede jumping down from the roost and nestboxes with his huge bulk and then limping because he hurt his leg. I got tired of worrying about it and gleaned an idea from hcammack's coop he bought pre-made. Here is Suede's new roost shelf and PVC feeder, about 21" high (roost, not feeder). The nestboxes are temporarily underneath the roost shelf till we build his coop addition and put them in there. The nests are made from a steel file cabinet, so the poop just pushes off easily. They either sit on the edge or actually sit on the fencing, which Delilah especially likes-she laid her egg on it today, LOL.
    [​IMG]

2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Very cool... [​IMG]

How does SUEDE like it? [​IMG]

3. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    ooooh looks good [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

Suede seems to like it just fine. No more roost fighting or shoving! Even if he didn't, it's up to his mommy to tell him what's good for him, the big lug.

5. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    it looks great and I am glad my coop helped I have found shavings and poop get built up underneath so one of my projects this weekend is to clean out underneath and also scoop the poop off from on top although there is not much just housekeeping ! I am glad they seem to like it. My hens are not laying well I think they are going into a summer molt !

6. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Very nice!

7. speckledhen

Thank you. The garden fencing has 1" square holes and is pretty strong; most of the poop falls right through. The rest, I let dry awhile, then I sort of hit the shelf and it bounces the poop right through for the most part. Obviously, some of Suede's poop is mastodon-sized, LOL, and needs a bit of encouragement, but all in all, it works very well.

8. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    all and all mine does function but with 11 ladies after 3 months its nasty so I am doing end of summer before school starts cleaning ! I cant imagine suedanators poop that must be crazy !

9. speckledhen

At times, ping-pong balls and at others, close to tennisball size, LOL.

10. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Cyn I like it. I sooooooooo want Suede babies next year...he is soooo awesome.

I love that PVC feeder...it looks perfect. Do they try to perch on it or scratch in the food?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by