New rooster added is this OK?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by camaro10, Jul 8, 2010.

1. camaro10

camaro10 Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2010
    Bucksport, Maine
    I lost 13 of my flock last week giving me 2 hens left. I got a RIR rooster for free yesterday about the same age. He didn't seem to adapt to well when I placed him in the pen. My 2 BR's already tramatized from last week were instantly curious and approached this guy and he seemed annoyed and snapped back. Will they get used to each other and this attitude wear off or will he have to end up in the pot? He is acting like a big bully.

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    To answer the real questions first, it will take some time to see if they learn to get along or not. Watch them carefully and separate any injured birds asap.

But......

How did you lose 13, did you take care of that problem first?

Please read this link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12751 ETA, it's about quarantine.

And also consider the fact that one rooster with two hens is really asking for abused or dead hens. The usual ratio is 10:1, I can get away with 7:1, if it's a gentle rooster.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  3. camaro10

camaro10 Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2010
    Bucksport, Maine
    I let them out free range only when we were home. Something got to them and we lost 13 - found 2 hiding. So now they will not be let out at all, sorry to say.

4. junglebean

junglebean Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Coyote or a fox, sounds like.

5. ranchhand

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Bummer. Could have been a dog running loose or a hawk as well. My birds rarely free range anymore, too dangerous around here.

Just remember to be very careful about bring new hens in, and if the rooster becomes a PITA, separate him or even get rid of him. Good luck, hope it all works out for you.

6. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    I would also add that ANY BIRD you obtain should be quarantined for 30 days prior to introducing them to your flock.....this is so that any potential disease(s) they are carrying have time to manifest themselves before potentially infecting all of your birds.

7. ranchhand

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Yard full o' rocks :

I would also add that ANY BIRD you obtain should be quarantined for 30 days prior to introducing them to your flock.....this is so that any potential disease(s) they are carrying have time to manifest themselves before potentially infecting all of your birds.

GMTA! [​IMG] The link I posted was to the quarantine thread.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by