New rooster addition!

stonehedgehens

Hatching
Aug 12, 2015
Alliston, Ontario
About 3 months ago I added 6 3-4 month old chickens to my flock thinking that they were all hens. We've just discovered that one is a rooster by his feather patterns and rapid growth. Once the girls start laying and we switch from grower feed, what should I feed the flock?

Last edited:
Depends on what you want for the rooster. You can feed them all a all flock or grower with a calcium supplement for the egg layers. That will avoid him and the non layers having kidney problems with the extra calcium in layer. If you have no concern over his long term health, you can ignore his kidneys and feed them all layer and not worry as much over thin shelled eggs.

My Feeding Notes: I like to feed a 'flock raiser' 20% protein crumble to all ages and genders, as non-layers(chicks, males and molting birds) do not need the extra calcium that is in layer feed and chicks and molters can use the extra protein. Makes life much simpler to store and distribute one type of chow that everyone can eat.

The higher protein crumble also offsets the 8% protein scratch grains and other kitchen/garden scraps I like to offer. I adjust the amounts of other feeds to get the protein levels desired with varying situations.

Calcium should be available at all times for the layers, I use oyster shell mixed with rinsed, dried, crushed chicken egg shells in a separate container.

Animal protein (mealworms, a little cheese - beware the salt content, meat scraps) is provided during molting and if I see any feather eating.

Back
Top Bottom