New Rooster Agression

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jbpete412, Mar 25, 2019.

1. jbpete412

jbpete412 In the Brooder

Apr 8, 2018
    Warren, PA
    A week ago we adopted a 1-yr old buff orp rooster who had to move due to zoning restrictions. According to his previous owners (whose opinion I trust), he has always been very friendly towards humans. However, since he has been here he has been showing aggression... striking my boots with his beak and trying to kick me with his Spurs when I walk away from him. His attempts are half-hearted and do not amount too much. I've tried to handle him daily, but the aggression is actually getting worse toward me. What can I do to make him more human friendly again? I have four small kids and cannot have an aggressive rooster.

penny1960 likes this.
  2. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Don't handle him. Definitely have him move away from you at a respectable distance. Carry a stick to move him off. Also never turn your back to him. You show him he is to respect your space.

penny1960 and HuffleClaw like this.
  3. roosterhavoc

roosterhavoc Free Ranging

Jan 5, 2012
    Since you say it’s a half hearted attempt just try totally ignoring him even if he comes after you. Don’t kick him away or try to pick him up. Pretend he’s not even there as you go about your business. He’s probably been handled more in the past week than he ever has before.

penny1960 and Wyorp Rock like this.
  4. roosterhavoc

Jan 5, 2012
    How do you exactly make the rooster move away from you at respectable distance without challenging him? Roosters aren’t humans. A truly aggressive rooster will wail away on your stick too.

Wyorp Rock and RowanTheRed like this.
  5. chickens really

It works for me. I tap the stick on the ground and never have an issue. My newest Rooster challenged me and he now keeps his distance.

6. roosterhavoc

Jan 5, 2012
    How did he challenge you? Did he kick you? Drop his wing? Come up behind you kicking you? What kind of rooster? Do you carry a stick every time you’re near this rooster?

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  7. chickens really

I have my stick outside the Coop..My Rooster is a Silkie and he flew up at me kicking I knocked him to the floor. I then used my stick to get him moving away. He now just stands and watches me. My Huge Brahma also learned to keep a safe distance from me. I only mentioned what works for me.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Male livestock interactions often have more to do with the humans involved than the animals.

That right there would be good reason to have him go elsewhere.

9. HuffleClaw

HuffleClaw Quack!

Jul 8, 2018
    AL
    :frow it has worked for me. maybe not for you since most (or all) of your roosters are games. {<- I’m not trying to stereotype the breed, btw, just saying.} Not all roosters are the same, what works for others might not work for all.

penny1960 and chickens really like this.
  10. roosterhavoc

Jan 5, 2012
    I’ve had silkies, lakenvelders, buff orpington, white faced black Spanish, white rock, black langshan, salmon faverolle, EE, roosters too. You’re right not all roosters are the same so why would one approach (carrying a stick) work on all of them. If the rooster comes after you what happens then? You hit them with the stick? Making the problem worse.

penny1960 and Wyorp Rock like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: