New Rooster and Hen.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by riverpilot69, Feb 24, 2012.

1. riverpilot69

riverpilot69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    SE Missouri
    I had an old farmer down the road give me a Partridge Cochin pair yesterday. I was in a farm supply store looking at the new batch of chicks and such. He stopped and saw the price on a pair of Cochins ($35.00) and asked if I was thinking about purchasing them? I told him that I was looking for a new rooster and hen. He gave me his address and told me that he had a pair he would give me. Here is where it gets rather funny. I took the pair home to introduce them to my girls. My girls are slightly bigger than the roo and when he saw one of my SLW, he ran over to her and started fighting her. Well. The rest of the girls would have none of that. They proceeded to give him a royal butt whipping. He kind of shook it off and looked around like "That wasn't supposed to happen." I removed him and his hen until roosting time. Then I placed them on some open spots on the roost. Everything went pretty smooth after that. No pecking or fighting. I guess he figured that there were too many girls to start anything. My girls didn't attempt to harass the new hen. She is very small and docile and I was kind of worried about her. My wife and I laughed so hard at his behavior and his run in with the welcoming commitee. My girls have probably never heard a rooster crow and when he did, they kind of cocked their heads and looked at him like "Dude. What was that?" The whole scene was rather entertaining.

2. Kickin' Chickin'

Kickin' Chickin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    Upstate New York
    I had the same thing happen when I brought home a Cochin rooster, he ran around trying to mate each of my hens and was promptly refused and pecked by all. My husband and I laughed so hard at the sight of it. We named him Napoleon just because he was so much smaller than my girls but still insisted on trying to mate them. Long live Napoleon the Conqueror !lol

3. riverpilot69

riverpilot69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    SE Missouri
    Still trying to decide on a name for him. My daughter named the hen Miss Priss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by