New Rooster, Blocks Automatic Door

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by beefsupreme, Sep 15, 2016.

1. beefsupreme

beefsupreme New Egg

Apr 29, 2015
    I recently added a new rooster to my flock. He's the only Roo I have.

He's been free from quarantine for 3 days, and seems to be assimilating well. There wasn't any squabbles, he seems to know where the food and water is, etc. He even does his mating dance for his new flockmates, and will let the broody hen eat food out of his mouth.

The problem: I have an automatic door that opens at sunrise, and closes 30 minutes after sunset. After herding all the hens into the coop for the night, he squats in the opening and blocks the door. It's not heavy, so it just sort of half-closes on him, then he sits there like that till morning.

Thoughts?

2. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    First off, I'd push him in, so that a raccoon doesn't get in.

3. RoosterRiot

RoosterRiot Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2015
    I would push him in too. Maybe also place him on a perch or somewhere in the coop. Be consistent about it for a few days and he might catch on.

4. Pendragonz

Pendragonz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2015
    NWA
    I've got a similar type of problem. I've got a flock of 23 birds that will put themselves away at night. The problem is after the first 12-15 go into the coop they sit in the doorway and block the others from coming in. If I'm out there and keep pushing them further in then the others will go on in. How do I break the idiots from blocking the door. I can't be there every night to put them in due to my work schedule, and I'd like to get them better trained so my DW can just go out and shut the door about dark. Please give any advice you may have.

5. beefsupreme

beefsupreme New Egg

Apr 29, 2015
    I removed him from the door and placed him on the roost. Do you reckon he'll stop doing this if I just keep at it?

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Eventually, yes....he's just not comfortable on the roost yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by