New Rooster Breeding

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by atm21, May 4, 2017.

1. atm21

atm21 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2016
    When will a rooster newly introduced to hens start to breed them? Does he start mating with them right away or take time to build a "relationship"' with them all?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    It can depend on the age of the cock bird and his disposition. A younger male could take a while before the hens allow him to mate, whilst a more mature cock bird, with a good bedside manner, could begin mating earlier. Any cock bird has to earn the respect of the hens before "consensual" mating occurs, so yes it can take some time before this respect is earned. It's a case of observation on your part.

1 person likes this.
  3. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Some desperate hens will allow mating instantly,some roosters will force it upon them,some have to work around the pecking order,and accept him,then you will notice more mating.

4. atm21

atm21 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2016
    Ok he's about 9 months old if that helps. He's been with them for a little over a week. I have never seen him mate but he is very aware when I'm around so I don't know if he's afraid of me and doesn't do it because I am near or he just doesn't do it all.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    I'd doubt you've not seen him mating because of your presence. Patience is the name of the game. If you intend to keep him long-term, then his slowly-slowly approach I'd consider a positive attribute.

ETA: this link should help you determine if he is doing a clandestine job - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/16008/how-to-tell-a-fertile-vs-infertile-egg-pictures

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  6. atm21

atm21 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2016

Ok thank you. The hens had another rooster with them about 10 days ago so that fertility test may be scewed for a little while longer. Because they could be fertile from the old rooster still.

7. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    they could indeed.

8. atm21

atm21 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2016
    I've seen him do his little dance by the hens and they don't seem to respond to it. Still bitter I took out their other rooster I guess lol. I'm hoping to incubate eggs in about 3 weeks from this rooster and hens. Is there anything I can do to speed the process or just cross my fingers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by