New rooster & breeding

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Gvnam, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Gvnam

Gvnam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    I am guessing this is where I would put this!

Someone nearby me has a Black Sex-link rooster. We are going to pick him up and try and breed him with our black star hens. Would I be able to put him in with then hens immediately or will I have to introduce him to the hens slowly?

Thank you!

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    He should be quarantined for at least a month before you introduce him to your flock to make sure he isn't sick. A great many free birds offered are sick, and the current owners can't or don't want to deal with it, so they give the birds away for free. Unscrupulous, but it happens all too often.

I'll go get my favorite link to integration to help you out.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

Good luck.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  3. Gvnam

Sep 16, 2011
    Ok, thank you!

He isn't be given away, just borrowed for breeding. After we are done we are giving him back to the owner. All the birds they own seem to be very healthy.

4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    The quarantine is a valid point, especially if you have a lot of chickens. And definitely worthwhile, if you do not know where the birds are coming from, like an auction. And if you lose the flock to a sickness, you will be devastated.

But if you only have a few hens, and you are visiting the other flock, seeing the health and pens, noticing all the birds, and the set up, and you are satisfied with it. Then I would just add the rooster. Their will be a bit of thumping, usually by your top hen, who will not be liking the idea of someone else in charge. But he will manage that, and by the next day, they will all be in love. Or at least mine were.

MrsK

5. Gvnam

Sep 16, 2011
    I have one rooster already. Got another pen ready. I am going to let the new rooster out in the yard with the hens I want him to mate with.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I just want to check that you know the mating you're planning won't breed true, ie the chicks won't be sex-linked. A bsl roo over non barred hens will give half barred, half solid, but the barring won't be linked to the sex of the chick, like with the first generation.

7. Gvnam

Sep 16, 2011
    I didn't know this. So the coloring will be the same but they wont be sex linked?

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yep, it's a one time deal. Sorry. Same for any type of red/gold/brown sex link, it only works on the first generation.
    You'll still get good layer, though. Just won't be able to tell the difference at hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by