1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

New rooster for overall improvement of flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gypsy767, Sep 28, 2014.

1. gypsy767

gypsy767 Songster 5 Years

Feb 5, 2013
    NW Georgia
    Finally able to take the next step today...got a new rooster for my flock of buff orpington girls. They are 16 weeks old and hoping to have a BUNCH of the general's offspring in the spring/summer of 2015...(yep, his name is 'General Lee') He is 87.5 % English and is a beautiful bird at only 25 weeks old. I am in Georgia but his sire is out of New Hampshire from a recognized breeder via a very nice and helpful Georgia breeder. I came by this bird strictly by good luck...he is already a beauty even at his young age...and his size is terrific! I am including some picture of his introduction to our girls.

He arrived at our place very clam and quite after the 100 mile trip.
    [​IMG]

Our girls gathered around to see what the fuss was about.
    [​IMG]

He took his own sweet time coming out of the cage and strutted proudly for his admirers.
    [​IMG]

A few of the dominate girls fluffed up their neck feathers at him but he showed them in a NY second that there was a new sheriff in town...! :)
    [​IMG]

It was uneventful after that. He mingled peacefully with the flock and they shared their sunflower seeds with him and all was well...!
    [​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Pretty boy! Good luck with your flock, hope the future hatches go well!

3. gypsy767

Feb 5, 2013
    NW Georgia
    Thanks...so do we. We are very excited to find a rooster of this quality. I'm looking for a couple of nice english pullets/hens also to mate with this rooster. Maybe lady luck will smile on us again. :)

4. gypsy767

Feb 5, 2013
    NW Georgia
    This is the general's sire.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: