New Rooster, How should I get him in with the other rooster.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Wackums, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Wackums

Wackums In the Brooder

Jun 14, 2019
    I have a fairly large easter egger rooster, but I have a lot of chickens coming into the flock soon, so I went and bought a mixed rooster. He's almost the same size as the egger. It's been a few days now and I've let him stay in the coop, separated from the others, the past few days. I was told to let the roosters fight for dominance. I let them fight a few minutes but my egger has alot of blood in his eye and I feel really guilty. Should I let them fight for dominance? Should I be concerned with his eye? I can still see his pupil but it looks really red. What should I do?

BarnhartChickens98 likes this.
  2. Shamo Hybrid

Shamo Hybrid Songster

Jun 6, 2018
    Wrap their spurs up with little pillow like things you can make, tie it around their spurs and let them fight it out..... there will be less damage on them both. Their fight for dominance probably won't last that long since they aren't game bred fighters, once one cowers away then you're all set. After that the loser will know how to settle into his role.

Wackums likes this.
  3. Wackums

Wackums In the Brooder

Jun 14, 2019
    That you that's a great idea.

4. BarnhartChickens98

BarnhartChickens98 Crowing

Oct 28, 2018
    Manhiem, Pennnsylvania
    If you are comfortable with it i would just dock the spurs, that way they cant really do damage with them at all.

5. Wackums

Wackums In the Brooder

Jun 14, 2019
    I would like to keep the spurs, I have alot of predators in my area and I'd feel more comfortable with it if they still had them. I have had coyotes fighting on my front porch, bear sightings a few miles away... I know it wouldn't do much but it's some kind of defense ya know

BarnhartChickens98 likes this.
  6. BarnhartChickens98

BarnhartChickens98 Crowing

Oct 28, 2018
    Manhiem, Pennnsylvania
    No Problem, In that case i would use the pillow method. Good Luck!

7. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    I have to ask, why did you get another rooster?

aart likes this.
  8. Wackums

Wackums In the Brooder

Jun 14, 2019
    I have 7 hens and 1 rooster full grown, 13 more almost old enough to be put in with them, I have 7 more being raised by 1 of the hens, and 2 I just hatched, + I plan on getting some guineas and more chickens... I just wanted to make sure I had enough roosters for all the hens.

9. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    Sorry for all the questions but the details of your keeping arangements make a difference.
    Do you free range is your flock contained?
    If you have some chicks being raised by a hen do you know if any of those are males?

aart likes this.
  10. Peppercorngal

Peppercorngal Crowing

Feb 5, 2018
    Feather Falls, CA
    Your roosters will never get along unless you have lots and lots of space! I mean a 1/2 football field for them to stay away from one another. Especially since they already have it out for one another. Good Luck. :confused:

Folly's place likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: