New rooster (I think)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by DWH, Nov 27, 2009.

1. DWH

DWH Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2009
    Yesterday my mom and I went to the flea market and got you guessed it poke'mon cards! We got a rooster too! As soon as we got home he jumped out of the bag and there you go a half an hour of my life that I can never get back! Hers the amazing part (if your still reading) As soon as we let him out of our new chicken cage he got along great with my newly "feathered" Silkies and they let him into their flock. My sister named him Brice. Trust me I dont know [​IMG] Nelson Mandella for short. Hehe

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    ALWAYS quarantine for two weeks!

You should know that.

God bless.

3. DWH

DWH Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2009
    [​IMG]:thWe'll do that but Is it too late!!!? He looked Healthy but you cant be sure!

4. I just let my big buff orp roo out with the flock. I have him quarantined for over a month. He took off for the day after a brief few run ins with the other roos. I was glad to see him roosting when I went to close up the barn.

I RARELY introduce a new bird, but this guy needed a home and he is beautiful. For some reason my roos seem to get along, but I think i am approaching a critical number. I now have 8 big roos and a bunch of little ones.

I do take a few out each year for "mounting" at the taxidermist. The buff orp does not have good enough butt feathers so he has a home until his demise.

5. TheGoldenRoo

TheGoldenRoo A Crazy and Fun Chicken

Oct 15, 2009
    ND
    Cool, I love it when chickens just get a long with each other.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  6. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Congrats on the roo!!! What breed? Do you have a pic of him? Also, yes, you always have to quarantine a new bird.

7. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    sorry to here that its may be to late but its not to late to try separate him imediatly. Good Luck.

Heny

8. DWH

DWH Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2009
    He's a Dominique and every single time I try to pick him up he squacks and runs and if truly desperate peck me [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  9. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:I say you just have to go in there and toss a towel over him the lives of all of your chickens could depend on it. Even if he is apears to be in perfect health he could have hidden diseases and you could lose your whole flock. Thats why its so important to quarentine your birds.

Henry

10. DWH

DWH Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2009
    Ahhhhh! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by