New rooster invaluable alarm

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by beccaWA, May 6, 2016.

1. beccaWA

beccaWA Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Eastern WA
    I had a random rooster (now named Randall) wander into my yard a few days ago and has "adopted" my flock of hens.

He as of yet roosts in the trees by the house, not in the coop with everyone else. Tonight at midnight he started crowing. I've never had a rooster, and thought, what the heck? Then my German Shepherd who was in the house with me went to the slider and started growling and barking at something in the yard.

I swear, that rooster saw/sensed that cat/dog or whatever it was and started alerting. I took the dog out and she chased it off.

Wow, I'm very impressed with this roo. I hope the lost/found ad I put in Craigslist for him does not get a response! He seems to already be earning his salt around here.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Yes, a good rooster will alert when there is danger at night as well as during the day! They will also tell the hens when there is a hawk so they can hide, chase away other predators during the day, help make nests for the hens and fertilize eggs. Lots of reasons to get a rooster (or two!). Sounds like you got yourself a keeper. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    They also act as alarms if something is wrong like there is no water or food. For me this was usually the birds knocking over the water. Had a cock bird that if he crowed anytime other than early morning we knew to go check on them. A hen managed to get out of pen and trying to get back in, you name it, he'd let us know.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by