new rooster no eggs..

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ussy786, Aug 7, 2013.

1. ussy786

ussy786 New Egg

Aug 7, 2013
    Hi, I have a hen which I brought as a chick (in january this year) with 2 others. The other 2 chicks couldn't survive longer than 2-3 weeks and died :( . So she was raised all alone for most of her 25 weeks or so of life in a cage as I dont have enough space to let her out but I do let her roam around the house sometimes.
    5 days ago I brought a rooster for her and have been anxiously waiting to get some eggs. They live in a decent size cage and for the first 2-3 days my hen attacked the roo so much that I thought of separating them but didn't. Now they are pretty much ok, the hen rarely attacks him now. The roo crowed for the first time since I brought him today in the morning and the hen I think got terrified and attacked him a bit as this was the first time she saw that happening. The hen is bigger than the roo too but the roo is crazy fast and stronger and can beat her any day but doesn't. At first she didnt even let him eat but now i see the roo taking a bit control of this. I was told that he is 1 year old. Just wanted to know if all this behaviour is normal and if I could expect to get some fertile eggs soon. Never seen the roo interested in her so its kinda worrying. This is the first time as u can tell I have kept chickens as a pet so don't have that much knowledge about the pecking order and how things go so any advices and suggestions are welcomed.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]

If you got the hen in January she should have started laying already, or was she laying before you got the rooster? Most hens start laying between 20 and 25 weeks of age, with the exception of some heavier breeds, unless there is some issue, like incorrect feeding or health problems. (More about non-laying causes here: Chicken Behaviours and Egg Laying - Why are my hens not laying?)

I think in this case, after having been by herself for most of her life the hen will be understandably freaked out by the rooster and therefor not very welcoming. She is most likely also stressed by this "intruder" and most hens, if stressed, will stop laying for awhile, some up to a few weeks. It depends how they deal with the situation and how soon they'll settle down. It is difficult to say how long it's going to take.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by