New rooster owner wants to know best ways to catch him in the yard. Thanks!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by nc farm, Feb 13, 2013.

1. nc farm

nc farm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2013
    Lexington, NC
    Can you actually get them to approach you without having to chase them?

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    If you really need to catch him, the best way is when he roosts at night.

1 person likes this.
  3. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    If it was me I would probably just catch him at night when he is sleeping on the roost. However when I have needed to catch my young roos in daylight in the past I usually had them in a run and cornered them. I had one that would always run to one corner so I set a dog crate so he couldn't dash left when I moved in to scoop him. Doubly handy having the crate right there, very easy to have fast containment.

1 person likes this.
  4. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Usually I can put out corn--or something they can peck peck peck at, not grab and run with--and wait until they have their backs to me, then grab them to check on them. Otherwise, I chase them, or get them when they roost at night as thebanthams mentioned.

1 person likes this.
  5. heybarb

heybarb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    If I have to catch my roo during the day, I throw out a snack - like cracked corn - then drop the top half of a rabbit cage on top of him. Once he's confined inside the cage, he's pretty easy to hold.

2 people like this.
  6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Personally, I'd rather my roo stays away from me. If I NEED to catch him I do it on the roost at night. Roosters' brains really aren't wired to be pets, so it's best not to try to make them too friendly. They should have a healthy respect for you and give you lots of space. It's their way of showing your dominance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by