new rooster, pecking order question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by FrenchHen, Mar 27, 2009.

1. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    We finally introduced Roadkill to his new harem. He's getting on fine with the lower order hens, but my BO and White Leghorn girls are pecking him. Some of his magnificent tail feathers are in the run.

Will he figure out that they're smaller than he is and establish himself, or will the be bossy old hens forever?

We do have fertile eggs, so he knows what hens are for.

They're on layer rations with a handful of scratch each day to keep them busy in the run.

They also have a cabbage hanging in the run to distract them.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I've seen older hens dominate a roo until they were removed.

3. FrenchHen

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    Removed permanently or put in chicken jail for a couple of days?

I'll give them some cat food tomorrow in case it's a protein thing.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Try chicken jail a couple of days. That upsets the pecking order and puts the two that were removed at the bottom. There will be some "reestablishment" of the pecking order when they get back, but the rooster may be able to gain the confidence to establish himself if he is mature enough.

5. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    I would remove the 'bossy gals' for 3 or 4 days as Ridgerunner suggested. That'll take them down a peg or two and allow the roo to get better established.

Out of curiosity, I'd also check their eggs for fertility while in confinement. Would be interesting to know if he has been able to mate them in spite of the pecking.

6. FrenchHen

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    He sure was trying this morning. The BO looked like a small golden turkey because she was having none of it!
    I've been checking fertility, and he's definitely doing the job.

He's a mutt EE. He has a beard and muffs, but the yellow legs and a mutant comb. I think he's figuring it out.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Just wanted to tell you that comment brought a big smile to my face [​IMG] . Such a cute way of putting it.
    I've been worried for awhile that my rooster wasn't getting the job done because he's so clumsey about it; yet all my eggs are fertile. I guess even sloppy roosters can be effective.
    I agree about jail time for your bossy hens. They need to learn that having a man around can be a good thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by