New rooster(s) - asking for trouble?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Barnprincess, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Barnprincess

Barnprincess New Egg

Feb 22, 2010
    Hi all,

I currently have 9 Faverolle hens whom I adore. Because I am certifiable, I decided I wanted a rooster. I had to order minimum of 6 birds so I ordered 5 hens and 1 roo. I plan to give the hens away once I can figure out which is which :) Anyway - I've read several articles on introducing the roo and it does not sound like it should be a big problem since the roo will be smaller upon introduction. Thoughts?

Here is where I think I might be asking for trouble. I thought it would be fun to have a couple of other docile breeds - soooooo, I did some research and then ordered 2 Blue Splash Marans (hens), 1 Welsummer (hen), 2 Easter Eggers (2) - and 1 Easter Egger (roo). So, I am not so concerned with integrating the girls as I have a very large transport cage I've used to move sheep that I am currently using as a brooder and can put in the chicken yard for the intro period. But it is the second roo I am now worried about. Am I making a mistake? I guess my somewhat loopy thought process was: "the Faverolle roo will not bother the Easter Egger roo and vice versa because they will have their own hens." I think my other mistake might be only haveing 2 hens for the Easter Egger roo. As I write this I think I have convinced myself to forget the second roo.

Feel free to reprimand me as needed :)

Sharon Kinsey
    www.followyourdreamfarm.net

2. Ashburnham

Ashburnham Chillin' With My Peeps

No problem if you keep them in separate pens! Otherwise they will likely fight.

3. Barnprincess

Barnprincess New Egg

Feb 22, 2010
    Only have one pen.....actually not a "pen" but about 1/2 acre enclosed area - chickens share it with my 3 pot bellied pigs - you should see the chickens ride on the pigs' backs! I think I've been through your area of Australia....we drove from Sydney to Victoria and then flew to Brisbane. We followed the coast for the most part with several inland trips. Beautiful country!.

Sharon Kinsey
    www.followyourdreamfarm.net

4. a123andpoof

a123andpoof Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    If they are chicks and arrive at the same time you may have a little bit of fighting, or none at all. Both sets of roos I had grew up together the first set were very close. The second set the biggest is the meanest, and keeps his brother in his place. But nothing to serious. On another note I have a silkie rooster and his sister. They live by themselves and he is perfect with her. He takes care of her and is a gentleman. with any other hens he is a tyrant. It all depends on the roosters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by