1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Rooster..Should I give him a friend???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nuggetsowner:), Sep 25, 2007.

1. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    I decided to keep the rooster my friend brought over this past weekend. My husband built him his own separate run and coop since you all thought he should not go in with Nugget and my 8 hens. Here is a picture of my handsome new man Sarge....

[​IMG]

I just could not see him made into soup. But now on to my question. Should I give him a mate? The run that he has is next to the run that my other chicken are in. My Little Red is just completely in love with Sarge. She is on the very bottom of the pecking order and I think it would actually be very good for her to be moved into the new coop and run with Sarge if you think it would be OK. The coop is 4X4 is that too small? The run is 6X8. Would it be OK to have just one hen and a roo? Would he constantly be trying to mount her?? Please offer your advise. One more pic to show how love struck she really is...

Sorry the pics didn't work I will try them again on a separate entry:D

Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  2. Nuggetsowner:)

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    [​IMG]

My Sarge!!

Sarge and the love struck Little Red...

[​IMG]

3. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    He is absolutely beautiful. I'm rather new to the chicken world so I'm not for sure about letting him have his own hen, maybe his own flock. If you are looking for an excuse to buy more chicks then he is it. [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

He's a beauty! Very nice; no wonder your hen is lovestruck. The coop and run are fine for two birds. Many breeders keep pairs or trios or quads together all the time. If he's too rough on her, you may want to get her a chicken saddle to protect her back, but you'll have to see how it goes.
    Your setup is actually a little too close for a real quarantine, but since this is what you have, I'd at least keep him separate from any of the hens for two or three weeks while you observe him closely. Pick him up and listen to his breathing, look in his eyes and nose. Are his eyes bright and alert? Is his nose free of congestion, mucus, etc.? Look for white patches on his comb, possibly indicating favus, a fungal infection that must be treated. Check under his wings and vent area for lice. In fact, while you have him in quarantine, I'd go ahead and dust him for pests and worm him as well as a precaution.
    He really is very handsome and from your pics, seems healthy, but you are with him in person and will see things a pic can't show. Congrats on the new man!

5. Nuggetsowner:)

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    Thanks alot he is a very cute guy. I actually got him from a very close friend who got her flock at the same time I got mine. i have been at her house often and have handled Sarge often. She could not keep him because she had two roosters and could not keep them both. We were supposed to butcher him when I was processesing my meat chickens this last weekend but when she brought him over I just couldn't do it. So my kind and wonderful husband built the new area for him. I did not think about putting him in quarantine because I knew the conditions he came from. Do you think I should move him? Am I putting my flock in danger? He is very healthy!!

6. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    I agree with speckledhen................................................. I would get him a few girlfriends.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, he does appear healthy and bright-eyed, but just watch him for a little while. I'm not saying he isn't healthy, but I am just very cautious about these things. If you had gotten him from me, I would not be insulted if you put him in quarantine, even though my birds have never been ill. It's just good practice to do so. However, you know him and your friend and have had close contact with him and her flock, so just use your own discretion. I couldn't have butchered him, either! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by