new rooster sneezing! Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mykee, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Mykee

Mykee Chillin' With My Peeps

Last week, I purchased a pair of golden sebrights to raise for showing.They are both a year old. I checked them over for health issues at the farm and they seemed fine, but a few days ago the rooster started sneezing excessively and has some gunky stuff in his nose. His eyes and comb and wattles are bright, and he is eating and drinking and seems healthy, except for the sneezing. The hen sneezes occasionally, but not often.They are quarantined and far away from the rest of my flock. I know respiratory things are nearly impossible to diagnose, but is there anything I can do to strengthen his immune system? Thanks!

2. Mykee

I did a little research and the thing most like his symptoms is MG. I have some tetracycline from the summer. Will this be any good to treat him with?

3. Crazy Chick

Crazy Chick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2013
    Pace,Florida
    They may be sneezing because of inhaling dust from their food... or a respiratory problem. I also have Golden Sebrights, two hens and a rooster, I have shown them and the two hens were 1st place and the rooster was 2nd place. I LOVE them!!!

4. Mykee

I know! Aren't they adorable? And congrats on your wins! I hope mine do as well. He doesn't sneeze when he's resting, so I think it may be food or bedding dust. I have them on pine shavings, which is my normal bedding of choice, but I wonder if he is allergic. What else would I bed him on? I am feeding him crumbles which aren't too dusty but could be the problem. He is a messy eater. [​IMG]
    I've put ACV in his water for now and will keep a close eye on him.

5. Crazy Chick

Crazy Chick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2013
    Pace,Florida
    When mine were babies I used pine shavings and they were fine. Thank you on the congrats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by