New rooster to female flock (of 3)

76972clb

Chirping
Oct 11, 2015
East Texas
I introduce, 7 mo old, Mr. Rooster to our female flock. He seems to of made it to the top of the pecking order and everyone is getting alone just fine. When will he start to mate with the hens?

He might even start today? It usually is quick, a bit clumsy at first and a bit of displeasure from the hens...Once he starts breeding he wont stop either...
Since you describe displeasure, can you help me to understand or my teen daughter wants to know how it isn't rape.... I told her they could run away. But she suggested that was like blaming the victim.
hmm.png
I know what they are doing is natural, but is there anything I can tell my daughter to make her more comfortable with it?

We have 2 cockerels who have just began mating and one of them got the same hen 4 times yesterday!
ep.gif
I don't even know if she's laying yet since I haven't found a nest or heard a song from her, but she did squat...

Since you describe displeasure, can you help me to understand or my teen daughter wants to know how it isn't rape.... I told her they could run away. But she suggested that was like blaming the victim.
hmm.png
I know what they are doing is natural, but is there anything I can tell my daughter to make her more comfortable with it?

We have 2 cockerels who have just began mating and one of them got the same hen 4 times yesterday!
ep.gif
I don't even know if she's laying yet since I haven't found a nest or heard a song from her, but she did squat...
Its is all natural..Displeasure means, hens always make a big deal out of it..It is not Rape...Sorry I never explained that well...Roosters have no Penis..I is basically like rubbing belly buttons to put it in a more understandable term...

Have no worries...

hmm.png

ep.gif
Rape is a term I don't believe can be applied to animals as it implies conscious consent......
.....animals don't have the conscientiousness that humans do, their brains don't work at that level....
...so it's just another form of anthropomorphizing (projecting human emotions/behaviors onto animals).

Many animals matings are rather 'violent'. Sometimes animals submit easily, other times not.

Having multiple young cockerels is creating an environment of competition is going to greatly increase the aggressive dominating/mating behavior.
Female chicken do not sexually mature as young as the males so what you are seeing is 'normal'....might want to get rid of all cockerels or at least separate them from the pullets until the pullets are laying..

Thank you for all of the information! We cracked one egg from each chicken to check. No matting going on here. The blastodiscs test as well as we've not heard the hens squawking as you describe. Everyone one in awhile Shadow tries to bully him. Maybe in a few more weeks. He has been part of the flock for almost two weeks.
I've found a new love in keeping chickens.

Thank you.

Thank you both! Although I knew it wasn't rape, I just wasn't sure how to explain to the kid.

3 of my hens that are laying for sure still don't sing.... Hope they don't all follow suit!

So you, @aart would consider just keeping a cockerel pen for those we plan to eat and not mate until next year while the pullets develop? Do you think this would help to create less crowing as well or have no impact?
Thank you for all of the information! We cracked one egg from each chicken to check. No matting going on here. The blastodiscs test as well as we've not heard the hens squawking as you describe. Everyone one in awhile Shadow tries to bully him. Maybe in a few more weeks. He has been part of the flock for almost two weeks.
I've found a new love in keeping chickens.

Thank you.
If you didn't, in the future you may consider quarantining any additions for several weeks before adding to your flock, just to ensure you won't be transmitting any disease that haven't shown symptoms yet in the new bird. They may be carrying bacteria your flock hasn't developed immunity to yet as well.

Are you planning to hatch chicks? What breeds are you currently in love with? Mine changes often, but right now it's the Swedish Flowers!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom