New rooster, unknown issue

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Vyraal, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Vyraal

Vyraal Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Southern California
    Hey again all, got a new roo and needed to know what the issue was for sure before i started treatment.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  2. Coralee

Coralee Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2012
    Woodbine Georgia
    I'm not positive, but it may be something besides mites. Keep him isolated from any other chickens. Any BYCers out there know for sure what this is? Please take a minute to look.

3. Vyraal

Oct 11, 2011
    Southern California
    Hes completely separated from the other chickens, i wouldnt dare get him close to them.

4. Harry Rooster

Harry Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]Poor little guy! He looks horrible. Could it be fowl pocks? I've seen pictures of "fowl pocks" that resembled this. If not fowl pocks, could it be some sort of fungal infection, or allergic reaction?[​IMG] I hope someone who knows anwsers you soon, he must be miserable. I would put some neosporin on those sores though, in the mean-time, to at least try to give him some relief. It's a triple antibiotic so it should help anyway. If someone doesn't answer soon, try the "chicken doctor" Peter Brown. You can look him up online. Just type that in. Hope you get an answer soon! Good Luck[​IMG]

5. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I would guess foul pox also.

7. Coralee

Coralee Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2012
    Woodbine Georgia
    If it is fowl pox, the sites I've looked at, like poultrypedia.com say to use tetracycline to prevent secondary infection. I use the Durvet water soluble at 1 teaspoon per gallon or 1/4 teaspoon per quart, and mix fresh daily. It will help with secondary infection. Make the poor little guy some oatmeal or a hard boiled egg so he has something soft to eat, his poor little head must hurt so. Triple antibiotic salve on his sores should help, too. Good luck, I hope he gets well soon.

8. Vyraal

Oct 11, 2011
    Southern California
    Thank you all so very much! Hes getting along pretty alright so far, will make him some oatmeal right after i post this. I'll start putting vaseline or neosporin on his lesions and probably give him a damp towel bath, he really needs it; his last owners didnt give him the treatment he deserves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by