New Rooster- Very Violent what can I do?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Hannah11, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Hannah11

Hannah11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2012
    Bluff, New Zealand
    Last night a friend needed to rehome her rooster a very beautiful LARGE boy(maybe sussex?). I wasn't home so I told her to lock him in a separate coop that I have so the could be introduced safely... but she didn't shut the door! I woke this morning to brutal rooster fights between my 2 Permanent boys and 1 (due for the pot) 2 Roos are OEG and one barnyard, they are very small but the head OEG held his own but unfortunately the barnyard was horribly injured I have cleaned him up not he seems ok mostly a few holes in his comb. I can't catch the new roo or the other 2 as they are really quick and they free range I will try tonight. I really need to know if this might be a permanent thing or will they start to relax, we have a large property with 3 groups of girls so plenty to go around for the boys. currently the new boy is out the front the others are out the back... do you think they may have settled it? or should I just cull the new boy? Any Insider tips on how to deal with this?
    I would like to keep the new boy I want to start breeding in some larger hens as mine are mostly tiny bantams. Also it is spring so we have lots of chicks could this be why the roosters are so territorial?

Thanks Guys!!! (sorry for the long-windedness of this I'm still in shock over my poor injured boy)

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They might have settled it. After a good, hard, long fight, roosters often work out the pecking order and decide who is dominant. My roosters fight when they first meet each other, but after that, they are mostly fine around each other (just the occaisonal scuffle between the dominant rooster and the most submissive).

If you really want the new rooster, keep him. Many people won't keep an agressive rooster, as they may pass the characteristics on to their offspring. Still, as long as he's not mean to people, I'd be inclined to keep him if I was you.

1 person likes this.
  3. Hannah11

Hannah11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2012
    Bluff, New Zealand
    Thankyou- made me feel much better! I have been out watching him he has a couple of girls with him and no fights that I saw, they are just staying away from each other :) He doesn't really seem to violent not to me (he's running away from me, I try to maintain my dominace over the roos, worked perfectly) He's showing all the girls the treats and guarding the little ones. I think it might be ok now... He's very beautiful and I want the new blood I think it might work out Also after the fights I think my OEG is still top dog even if he is 1/4 the size of the other!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by